Subwoofer Specs

The History Kid

I am new to the idea of x.2 (or greater) home theater setups.  Since I started dabbling with it eleven years ago, I've always gone with simply using a 5.1 setup.  However, it seems more and more people are using 2 or more subwoofers in their setup.  As it stands right now, I have no intention of adding a second sub to my setup as my room does not require it.  That being said...I've also noticed some people mixing brands and lines of subwoofers.

My question is, what is the key component to look for when matching subwoofers to your system?  Do you pay attention to driver sizes in the case of subwoofers?  Crossover range?  Help me figure out what things I need to look for to make the right selection later on.

That's what I would think, but I have seen many people use different lines, different models, and even different manufacturers before - some of those were high dollar setups too - even around the form.  I'm just trying to figure out if there's something else that goes with it.  I logically think the same sub is ideal, but I'm well aware of the fact that the sub I have may not always be on the market.

Key component?

Same manufacturer and same model... it's an easy game. :P

Though the most ideal way to do it, not the only way.  Two identical subs makes most sense 99% of the time but that other 1% can work extremely well also.

Bill

Will do you just go by ear, or are there certain things that you look at?  I've always gone with what my ears tell me when selecting the speakers to build my systems around.  What's the other 1% instance (as in your 5.4 setup)?

Let me tell you, it wasn't easy to incorporate multiple subs into my system, especially different sizes and brands.  Lots of trial and error.  Klipsch's ARC(Adaptive Room Correction) EQ for the RT-10d's, Revel's LFO(Low Frequency Optimization) software and it's 3-band parametric equalizer for the B15, and by ear for the SVS SB13 Plus, and to tie it all together, my NAD pre/pro's Audyssey MultEQ XT.  

The settings I use for movies are not the same I use for music.  I run all subs 5dB hot and use Audyssey's standard curve for movies and run all subs "normal" and Audyssey's NAD curve for music.

Bill

Using identical subs is suppose to be easier.  But, since the subs are in different locations in the room, they are not identical.  I have used identical and non-identical and calibration was no more difficult for one combination compared to the other.  Calibration does get harder going from 2-4 subs.  Auddyseey or some other sub DSP will make it much easier.  Multiple subs given a more even room response if their is more than one MLP.  The key when using non-identical subs is to use subs with similar power requirements and if possible similar drivers.  Earl Geddes worte some wonderful papers on the subject.

I use sealed and vented subs with extremely good results.  I also use the same setting for music and movies.  This is a personal choice and will vary with music/movie preference.    When it comes to subs, one has to ask what are my goals.  Do you want refernce level playback in the 31-63 Hz area or lower, how big is the room,  what type of music is used, room shaking bass, decrease distortion at higher playback levels,  added headroom, ect. Reference level playback is a tall task for most sub and in not cheap or easy to accomplish.  Reference level playback will better recreate the movie experience that the director is trying to convey.  Even 2 ch. music can benefit from a sub.  Better power management is provide for the HT when using a sub. 

My system is meant to get ULF/Play loud/Shake the room for movies but, 85% of the time it is for music.  Bass quality is the most import factor.  The increase in headroom makes all the things I listed easier to accomplish.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1