Looking For an HDTV Digital Tuner

tidmack

I have a Sony HDTV without a built in HD tuner. I'm thinking of dropping cable and wanted to see which local channels I'll get with just an antenna. Does anyone have an HDTV tuner they'd like to part with? To be clear, I am not looking for an HDTV antenna, I am in need of the tuner used on older HDTV-ready TVs.  Thanks!

Jeff

• Like 1

Checked out the unit you recommended, I appreciate the recommendation. Quick question that I'm hoping someone can help me out with: I initially avoided looking at "HDTV Converter" boxes because I thought all of them would convert the digital HD signal to an analog one for older non-HD TVs. It looks like the unit that Bob recommended acts as both an HD tuner (keeping the HD signal for an HD-ready TV) OR a converter for those with analog TVs. Am I reading this correctly and can I expand my search for products to those that act as both a converter and a digital tuner?

I'm a little out of my element with this stuff and I'm now wishing I would have spent the extra $100 11 years ago to get the Sony TV with the built in HD tuner.

Jeff

• Like 1

Basically sounds like you just need a no frills plug and play HDTV tuner. eleven years ago, they were just settling on the format for the tuner so. With your HDTV ready set, or even an old analog TV, you will have a decent digital picture and not many reception problems, if you are receiving a watchable signal now from the networks,CBS,NBC,Fox,etc...

I bought a new Craig brand with remote for around $40 new. Try Wal-Mart,CVS,Walgreens...other.

You may need to tweak antenna some for optimum signal.

Any questions?

Basically sounds like you just need a no frills plug and play HDTV tuner. eleven years ago, they were just settling on the format for the tuner so. With your HDTV ready set, or even an old analog TV, you will have a decent digital picture and not many reception problems, if you are receiving a watchable signal now from the networks,CBS,NBC,Fox,etc...

I bought a new Craig brand with remote for around $40 new. Try Wal-Mart,CVS,Walgreens...other.

You may need to tweak antenna some for optimum signal.

Any questions?

If you do a search on net, you may find a discount on a unit that was available to help convert users to the digital when the analog was being phased out.  I may have actually paid around $20 for ours. Now we have a Sony HDTV and do not use standalone,outboard unit. It was actually a little earlier when they settled on format but, not relevant to this conversation.

It keeps hd signal for hdtv. It can output 1080p over hdmi. I have this unit hooked up to my epson 2030 projector and the picture is amazing. Best 50 i've spent yet.

I appreciate the input, guys. I will most likely go with the one recommended by bobdit, as I'll know for sure that it can keep the HD signal for HDTV. 

But just to clarify, do all of these converters keep the HD signal if you're connecting them to an HD-ready TV? I saw many online that only had analog connectors, which made me think they were only meant to be used with analog TVs. 

If I'm overthinking this or not approaching it correctly, please let me know. I did about an hour of research online before my original post and found that most of the tuners I found were either used, or in the $200 range if new. Bobdit's recommendation at $50 is right in my wheelhouse price-wise.

I found a ton of converters online for $20 or so, but they all had analog connectors, which doesn't help me. Thanks again, everyone.

Jeff

• Like 1

Your 11 year old TV is much more likely to cease working than my La Scalas; although I do plan on a pair of Klipschorns as soon as the budget allows.

Doesn't make cents to me; but, it's your money. Perhaps a new TV is not in your budget, at this time, or you can't justify the expense.

Low hours on the Sony and a dinosaur CRT HD to boot...the picture is ridiculously nice, though. So, although I can afford a new TV, purchasing a depreciating asset that I watch a few hours per week doesn't make a lot of sense (and cents) to me. $50 for a tuner sounds like it'll solve my problem, though.  ;)

Don't let these threads about perfect K-Horn corners turn you off, they still sound great in less than perfect conditions. You'll love them. 

Jeff

CRT is desirable, to me & heavy to move.

Have a perfect set of corners; in my wife's Parlor. So, she'll get the 1st pair...later on, I'll build 2 sets of false corners for my less than perfect 4 corners...

Saw some at Wally World for less than $40; not sure if they are what you are looking for, though.

Now that I know that a regular converter will work, my options open up immensely. I thought that all converters would only show video in an analog signal, which drastically reduced my options, hence my original post. I think the only optional component to a tuner that sounds tempting is a built in DVR. Do all of these converters and tuners work about the same, or is it like a DA converter for a CD player where the sound (video in this case) can be drastically different from one to another? 

Right now, I just want to disconnect my cable box for a few days and see how I get by with local HD channels via a converter and other shows with my Roku (which I'm very pleased with). If this experiment goes well, I'd like to drop cable in the coming months.

thanks again for the input. 

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...