How much music do you buy?

muel

If you want the best quality of sound you need a good CD player and original CD's. If you take a good care of them, they will serve you well for many many years ahead. I purchase my CD's from www.buycdnow.ca, prices are very reasonable. I buy 5-10 a month which is not much but the quality exceeds compressed MP3, FLAC, etc. by a significant margine.

I don't want to go into a debate, but most CDs I've compared with vinyl do not match the vinyl, except the CD has a quieter noise floor. This comparison was done using an Oppo 105, and Rega P9/Ortofon 2M Black/Graham Slee preamp. However, hi-res DVD Audio and Blu Ray do sound great!

I can't wait to play some vinyl downstairs when my Belles are upgraded!

A lot of my vinyl is bought through Discogs. I really only buy CDs if nothing else is available.

Geoff

I don't want to go into a debate, but most CDs I've compared with vinyl do not match the vinyl,

Clearly, you do... :o

I couldn't disagree more--if we are talking about the vinyl representing what the mastering engineer put out as a "go-to-press" master.  But if you like the sound of what you hear on vinyl (derived today entirely from 24/96 masters in almost all mastering houses), then that clearly is your prerogative.

I'd like to hear what the mastering engineer finished with, and that is very, very close to what's on the CD, assuming no further dynamic range compression takes place on the CD master tracks.  This isn't always true.

What DOES take place is that the stereo tracks are partially merged for almost all vinyl tracks in order to balance the A+B and A-B sides of the vinyl groove so that the record can be produced by the vinyl pressers without tripping their in-house equipment pressing protective safeguards, and that it plays without jumping out of the groove or suffers from distortion due to print-though.  This merging of stereo tracks and particularly the bass to centered position by the mastering houses actually increases the DR ratings of the vinyl tracks over the CD tracks.  YMMV.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/is-the-dr-database-really-accurate-for-vinyl.330706/

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/is-the-dr-database-really-accurate-for-vinyl.330706/page-11#post-9481216

Chris

Edited by Chris A

I have bought between 65-75 cds do far this year. New, used, It doesn't matter to me. I haven't bought any vinyl since the early 80's. Still have most of my records and one day I might even have my Dual's repaired, just no urgency for me on that front. I haven't tried streaming as of yet, I don't find it to be a big imposition to get off the couch & drop in a disc.

I go on buying kicks from time to time and that includes both vinyl and cd's. I think there's merit and advantages to both formats and, for me, the debate is rather pointless. I do have a fairly extensive vinyl collection along with a very good and newer turntable. Getting ready to upgrade the cartridge! The point in my opinion is to enjoy the music.

I don't want to go into a debate, but most CDs I've compared with vinyl do not match the vinyl,

Clearly, you do... :o

I couldn't disagree more--if we are talking about the vinyl representing what the mastering engineer put out as a "go-to-press" master.  But if you like the sound of what you hear on vinyl (derived today entirely from 24/96 masters in almost all mastering houses), then that clearly is your prerogative.

I'd like to hear what the mastering engineer finished with, and that is very, very close to what's on the CD, assuming no further dynamic range compression takes place on the CD master tracks.  This isn't always true.

What DOES take place is that the stereo tracks are partially merged for almost all vinyl tracks in order to balance the A+B and A-B sides of the vinyl groove so that the record can be produced by the vinyl pressers without tripping their in-house equipment pressing protective safeguards, and that it plays without jumping out of the groove or suffers from distortion due to print-though.  This merging of stereo tracks and particularly the bass to centered position by the mastering houses actually increases the DR ratings of the vinyl tracks over the CD tracks.  YMMV.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/is-the-dr-database-really-accurate-for-vinyl.330706/

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/is-the-dr-database-really-accurate-for-vinyl.330706/page-11#post-9481216

Chris

Some good points. Maybe my vinyl playback equipment is better than my CD equipment?

Edited by geoffcb