New Guy Looking for New Receiver

skeeter

Hey everyone. I am new to the boards, but I have been reading posts for the past few weeks.

I am looking to upgrade my existing HT from Pro Logic. I watch movies and listen to music about 50/50. So music is impotant. Currently I have a Yamaha RX-V590. I am very satisfied with this as a two channel amp, but I want more for watching movies.

I have been considering Denon's 3802 and Yamaha's 2300. I must admit I am partial to Yamaha and have been since the mid-80's when I was stationed in Germany. I am willing to consider other brands.

Is there is anything about Yamaha's that people do not like? I do not see many posts about them on the board, mostly about Denon and Outlaw recievers.

BTW I have Chorus II's as my mains, and Infinity's for my center and 4 bookshelves for the rear channel. Talk about a poor match for the Chrous II's, but that's another issue.

Thanks for any advice...

------------------

Jeff

This message has been edited by skeeter on 07-27-2002 at 01:32 PM

I'd go with the Denon.

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7's

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD 3107

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Velodyne V-1012-B

Spare/Back-Up: La Scalas

http://www.geocities.com/seanshometheatre/

Thanks guys for the response.

Evidently there is not as much dislike for Yamaha\Klipsch combo as I thought. I expected to get some responses from people who dislike Yamaha.

The local audio/video store where I purchased my Chorus II's will let me audition each receiver in my home over a weekend. This should allow me to get a good comparison.

Thanks again...

------------------

Jeff

Just to share my 2 cents.

I had an older Yamaha Pro-Logic receiver hooked up to Klipsch bookshelf speakers (.5's I believe).

Sounded about as good as can be expected for a mid-level receiver with bookshelfs. Lacked bass, but was fairly clear and played loud.

When I hooked up the Yamaha receiver to full range speakers (Kenwood 3-ways), it sounded like crap. Granted the speakers werent that great.

The Pioneer receiver I was using to power the Kenwoods previously, powered them with no problem. Had full bass and felt they were adequetely powered.

They would shake the house when cranked up.

The point of my rambling is that both the Pioneer and Yamaha were rated at 65 watts per channel.

Yet the Yamaha could not keep up with the Pioneer receiver.

Atleast when I had the Kenwoods hooked up to the Pioneer they had punch. They sounded dead when hooked up to the Yamaha.

That stayed with me when it was time to buy a new receiver, and I stayed away from Yamaha.

I bought a Denon (3802) and I love it so far.

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Toshiba 3109 and 5700 (5700 goin back-stinks)

TV: Sony 36XBR400

MIT cables throughout

Krusty\Keith,

I know what mean about the Yamaha not sounding good. Originally I purchased the RX-V690. While it was on order the place where I purchased it from loaned me a RX-V590. A couple weeks later when the 690 arrived I picked it up and swamped it out. I kept it only one day. It sounded absolutely horrible with the Chorus II'. Nothing like the 590 sounded. So I took the 690 back and kept the 590. It has sounded great ever since.

I did call Yamaha support about this. They could not explain why this was. I did get them to admit the 590 and 690 used different chips for decoding, etc.

What I learned from this experience is...you need to audition the receiver in your home before deciding.

Thanks guys.

------------------

Jeff

I don't think Yamaha sounds bad. I think they are very clear detailed.

My only problem is with them living up to their rated power.

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Toshiba 3109 and 5700 (5700 goin back-stinks)

TV: Sony 36XBR400

MIT cables throughout

I have had my Chorus IIs since 1992, along with my Yamaha RX-V1050. Like yourself, I have been a fan of Yamaha receivers. When I made the transition to 5.1 I did alot of reading, looking for the most "bang for the buck". I ended up staying with Yamaha, deciding on the RX-V3000. I think has worked very well with the Chorus IIs. You do have an advantage since you are able to demo various receivers in your home. Please take full advantage of that before making your decision, take bias out of the equation and let your ears make the decision. I wish our shops around here would be so kind! I don't know about their other receivers, but I give Yamaha's RX-V3000 two thumbs up, and I have yet to experience its full HT potential. It is capable of a pseudo 8.1 surround. Right now I still lack front effects, and rear center speakers. Good Luck!

------------------

Thanks,

Bill

Primary HTS

Mains: Black La Scalas

Rears: Walnut Belles

Center: Black KLF C7

Rear Center: None Yet

Front Effects: None Yet

Sub: Velodyne CT-150

Extra: Black Chorus IIs

Receiver: Yamaha RXV3000

TV: HD Toshiba 61" 61H70

DVD: Sony DVP-S560D

I didn't read everyones post so sorry if this has been mentioned. However, I doubt it. I am one of the very few people who where elite enough to go with Harman Kardon.cwm32.gif hehe

Na, but anyway, I personally think my Harman Kardon and my Klipsch are a perfect marriage. Krisp, clean and plenty loud.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

I vote for Yamaha. The Rx-V3000 is very nice. Yamaha has the best sounding DSP modes out there. Read the review in Sound & Vision (August) issue. They compared the Denon AVR-5803, Yamaha RX-V1, and the Integra DTR-7.2.

Q.

------------------

Q-Man

Another vote for the RX-V3000. This receiver has been fantastic...absolutely NO complaints here!

Chorus II mains

Academy center

KG.5 front effects

KG1.5 rear surround

SW12II sub

Yamaha RX-V3000 reciever

Pioneer Elite DV-47a DVD/DVD-a/SACD...etc...