The Marantz 2385 powerhouse, is it any good?

mustang guy

Rolled off top end? That and the 1250 are not synonymous at all.

The sparkling crystal clear top end is one of the things the 1250 does better than anything I have heard, and it throws a massive soundstage. Something was not right with it. There are at least 20 transistors that need replacing in that receiver as well as all the zener diodes, relays, and trim pots. Capacitor choices are somewhat critical also.

Cameron will be chiming in :)

Yeah, something is not right with that 1250!  My experience has been just like Paul describes.

Edited by muel

Aw, come on, not my first rodeo.  Panaflow low flow fan fixes this for about $8.

I have an amp that needs this cure but I have never found a solution. I've tried a few fans and I hear every one. Perhaps if you float we can dispel this witch thing....

Perhaps you could try using the largest fan that would fit and slow it down a bit.  A bigger fan at slower speed can come close to the same volume of air moved.  http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/rc56.html

Aw, come on, not my first rodeo.  Panaflow low flow fan fixes this for about $8.

I have an amp that needs this cure but I have never found a solution. I've tried a few fans and I hear every one. Perhaps if you float we can dispel this witch thing....

Perhaps you could try using the largest fan that would fit and slow it down a bit.  A bigger fan at slower speed can come close to the same volume of air moved.  http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/rc56.html

Cool. A 56 ohm (2 w?) resistor on the power lead. If a guy had a bunch of different resistors, he could play with them until he gets the fan to the speed he wants. I'm not saying you could save money, but you could dial in the speed you want and leave it there. 

I think the Panaflo is 29 db or so.  Then it is installed in the back of the dampened case of the QSC.   This explains the cable thing. ;)

You have got to watch the video in post 30 Tiger. From Monty Python Holy Grain. It's the Burn the witch scene. One of the funniest ever!

:lol:

I have the entire movie memorized.  I love the line "I got better."

I think the humor of Monty Python has stood the test of time very well...My all time favorite scene is "Biggus Dickus" He who doth not laugh at that must be dead.

• 6 years later...

I realize this is an old thread but wanted to add some information. I've owned one for close to twenty years and yes they are very good and they are rated at 185 WRMS per channel at 8 ohms but also rated at 240 WRMS per channel both channels driven continuously at 4 ohms with 0.05% distortion and they rated them conservatively. So these are very powerful receivers and sound very good, almost tube-like. I use mine with two pairs of Large Advents and have only seen the clip light on once or twice and didn't hear any clipping and this was at a very high volume, I just turned it up that loud to see if they worked actually, so I would imagine with Klipsch they would get very loud. Bu they're reliable, built like a tank, have all discrete transistors, no IC's in these things. I will never sell mine even though they are now selling for 6 to 7 times what I paid for mine. This was the third most powerful receiver Marantz built, the next was the 2500, then the 2600. Rated at 250 and 300 WRMS respectively per channel, probably into 8 ohms, don't know what those were rated into 4 ohms. I had an output transistor go on me years ago when I first bought it and had it fixed and it's been fine ever since. It is now at least 41-42 years old, I believe they made these from 1977 to 1979.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...