RF 82 II 5.1 setup

Gas0line

Hello all, I got the kliosch reference rf 82 II surround sound system which consists of RF 82 II towers, RS 52 surrounds, rc 62 center and sw 115 sub. Im running a pioneer elite sc 71 receiver and boy these soeakers soind fantastic!! I had company over and was watchin tron showing it off, I got down to reference volume, 0db on receiver and tje whole house and foundation was shaking with no distortion. Im am very pleased with this setup but I do have a question... is 0db volume ok for these speakers? I do now want to blow them and they are set to small with a crossover set to 80 hz. These speakers didnt break a sweat at 0db but I dont want to risk.blowing them.. what is your input on that volume with these speaker? Is it safe to.demo at reference volume?

Thanks.

• Moderators

Congrats on the new setup. Everyone's "0db" is different.  With my LaScalas, -20db is about as loud you want to turn it for it to not be painful.  And I love it LOUD!  I always tell people to listen to your speakers.  If they begin to sound harsh, or begin to break up (no longer crystal clear), you are likely at the threshold of their limitations.  If they sound crystal clear with no distortion, drive them at that volume all you want.  I have found the more clean power you feed them, the more volume you will get out of them.  That's why I feed 200 watts into each speaker. 

Yeah they didnt dissapoint! My guests were blown away and my foundation was in trouble, lol. I just want to make sure I dont damage them. My pioneer Elite is calibrated using MCACC with the speakers set to small and x over at 80hz. My understanding is that mcacc calibrates to reference volume (0db) and im sure the 82s are fully.capable of running at that level.

Edited by Gas0line

On the Pioneer Elites, 0 is reference level.  This is loud in a typical home.  With the speakers set to small you have plenty of power and the drivers are safe.  I run my system set to small also.  This avoids cancellation and phase issues.  Also, the sub should do all the heavy lifting on the low end.  There is no advantage running the speakers set to Large.  MCACC is an excellent correction system that will give a flat response and a very clean sound.  I love my Pioneer Elite and it is a keeper.  For multiple seating spots run MCACC in the 3 point setting under manual MCACC.  It will give a more even response over multiple seats.

Edited by derrickdj1

Thanks for the response, Yes my sw 115 wasin full effect with tron! Tron has a sick lfe track that really digs deep! The sw 115 was shaking my whole house and the walls on all floors were litterly pulsating. These titanium tweeters... it would take a lot to blow one of them correct? I mean at 0db it is loud! Tweeters in the center and surriunds are safe as well you think? I understand it takes a lot to blow a tweeter let alone klipsch titanium tweeters. The Horns make the detail just pop! I got a lot of compliments on how clear they sound. Love the horns!

Edited by Gas0line

Reference should be fine depending on room size. If it's too big be careful. One speaker out of the bunch I would keep an eye on is the sub. Movie LFE is much different than music bass. I have 4 18's and there are a few movies out there that can give my subs a run for their money at reference levels. So be careful. And yeah tron is one of my favorite demo movies.

My ears usually give out before any speaker or sub danger at reference level.  And, If that does not happen, the wife will be by soon and put and end to things, ha, ha.  Out of the avr's that you mentioned, they will swing over 250 watts when really pushed.  Even at reference levels, the RF 7's never come close to using 200 watts /ch out of the Acurus amp in an over 5000 cu ft. room.

Edited by derrickdj1