Surround Speaker setup help for newbie

Raz0r

Hi All,

I am new to the HT world and I am trying to ramp up fast. I have just remodeled our family room and this is my first attempt at a "real" HT set up (please repress laughter). So far I have RF-82's as my fronts and RC-62 as my center. I just purchased a pair of RS-42's and THX-525's for my surrounds. I was only going to purchase the 42's, but the 525's were at a price I couldn't pass on. So here is my question, where do I place each of these for the best sound given that I don't have a wall on the right-side of the room as you face the TV (see attached picture)? My thought is to put the 525's on the back wall near the ceiling, firing down for the surround back, and mount the 42's below the 525's at ear-level firing forward for the side surrounds. 

So now that I have likely thought about this completely wrong, I am curious what the correct placement should be? Should I swap the roles I am thinking of using? Any thoughts and ideas on this is much appreciated. Thank you!!

post-58902-0-55240000-1410803530_thumb.j

• Moderators
this is my first attempt at a "real" HT set up (please repress laughter).

No laughter needed.  The RF-82 is a very capable system. 

I was only going to purchase the 42's, but the 525's were at a price I couldn't pass on.

Awesome price on those 525's!  Glad to see a forum member was able to pick them up.

My thought is to put the 525's on the back wall near the ceiling, firing down for the surround back, and mount the 42's below the 525's at ear-level firing forward for the side surrounds.

IMO, that's a bad idea.  If it were me, I would return or sell the RS-42.  For your setup, you don't need them since your couch is along the back wall.

IMO, that's a bad idea.  If it were me, I would return or sell the RS-42.  For your setup, you don't need them since your couch is along the back wall.

I thought this may be the idea and I had thought of that as well. So you think the better idea is to just go with a 5.1 configuration and put the 525's on the rear wall firing down?

If your couch was able to be out in the middle of the room, you could then maybe add the 525's as side surrounds and the RS-42 as surround back but I'm guessing you don't have that option.

No this isn't an option unless you have a free room for me to sleep in for a while  :) . The room would be too narraw if I did that. We are working on making a formal theater room in our basement, but we aren't quite there yet and that will have all of the needed room configuration to be correctly set up.

• Moderators
So you think the better idea is to just go with a 5.1 configuration and put the 525's on the rear wall firing down?

I'm of the opinion that a properly setup 5.1 will best an improperly 7.1 setup any day.  I don't think you need to angle them down.  Mount them just above ear level and you should be fine. 

We are working on making a formal theater room in our basement, but we aren't quite there yet and that will have all of the needed room configuration to be correctly set up.

Nothing wrong with that.  I found even with a dedicated theater room, I have limitations.  You do with what you have.  And you have a great setup so get those babies installed and fire them up!

Razor, which THT 525 do you have, the KS-525-THX or the KL-525-THX?

The reason I ask is that bipole speakers like the KS-525 and the RS-42 you have would work best on that back wall, and you should use a 5.1 system in a room like yours with the seating position on the back wall. The 525 is a substantially better speaker than the 42, but in your situation, if the 525 is a KL, I think you would be better off keeping the 42 and using them. I would place them on the rear wall about 2' in from the corners and about 2' down. Surrounds should be ambient, not directional, and bipoles off-axis can accomplish that well.

Hey Mustang,

They are the KS-525, so the surround speaker model. So in how you are saying to place them, to they just fire straight out? I think I may have had advice based on bookshelf speakers and they have to be firing down as a back speaker. If they are that high, will I still get the surround effect from them?

Thanks for the help and education!!

Since you don't have side walls, and you are against the back wall, firing them straight down makes sense. That would provide an immersive sound since sound would be firing in 8 directions. 4 from the 2 bipole speakers, and 4 from the reflections of the back wall. 

Can they be ceiling mounted without fear of them falling on your head?

I would try the 42s on the celling and the others on the back wall and see how you like it. It could be really nice. If not then you can always sell the 42s. You already have the speakers so it's worth a try. Place the 525 around 2ft above ear level. Angled down a little bit. If you get a long screw and screw it in half way that should be enough angle. Good luck and congrats :)

I think you just drew up my family room in my current situation. I have my 525s mounted on the back wall having them firing straight out. It works fine in my application. I have a second set of 525s sitting in the closet. I have just started toying with the idea of using them as front heights if I change out my receiver. Something you may want to consider with your extra set of surrounds.

I have a second set of 525s sitting in the closet. I have just started toying with the idea of using them as front heights if I change out my receiver. Something you may want to consider with your extra set of surrounds.

My only concern with using them as front heights is the sound dispersion issue. Since these are surround speakers, will the sound be directional enough to be a front height speaker? I have the capability on my receiver for it.

Id ditch the idea of using rear surrounds till you have the room for it. And Ifnyou want look into the heights. There are some guys that use surround style speakers as heights on this forum.

Better thing about rolling with just 5.1 is when you switch to 7.1 on a lot of avrs that is where you really start pulling down the rms wattage output.

• Moderators

Scrappy is right about the wattage. My previous Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver ($1200 new) was rated at 130 x 7 but third party bench tests showed it was only 55 x 7. Adding two additional speakers drained the receiver to the point it was underwhelming so I went back to a 5.1 until I had a dedicated 200 x 7 power amp.

Scrappy is right about the wattage. My previous Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver ($1200 new) was rated at 130 x 7 but third party bench tests showed it was only 55 x 7. Adding two additional speakers drained the receiver to the point it was underwhelming so I went back to a 5.1 until I had a dedicated 200 x 7 power amp.

I am curious, I got the pioneer elite sc-65 which I think was rated at either 130 or 135 rms per channel. It is a 9.2 channel receiver... Is it possible that my matched rf-7 7.1 will bring the rms per channel to the sub 100 area?