Front Height Speakers

tejascwboy

Front height speaker. which is best to use ? thinking of the rs 42 II  to use as a frt height speaker ? to match the  rear surrounds rs 42 II or maybe to use the rs 41 II as frt height speakers ? or the covential  rb 41 II ? or rb 51 II  ???   Powered bye a  Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 channel AVR 100 watts per channel. Currently running 2 RF 52 II, with HD 600 satillites & 8 inch sub. Ready to purchase the RC 52 II and  2 RS 42 II My Hold Up !!  The FRT Height Speakers !!!!!!!!!!.

What is your recommendation ? Your my last hope, so I can finally finish my speaker set-up ! Not enough direct information on the net to make the best speaker selection possiable. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.  I would not recommend any RS type speaker for front heights as you want your front height to be direct reflecting (bookshelf type) speakers as opposed to wide dispersion (surround type) speaker.

The RB series would work better for front height.  I would think the RB-41ii would be sufficient to use with the RF-52ii but that's my opinion.  Others may chime in with different views.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums.  I would not recommend any RS type speaker for front heights as you want your front height to be direct reflecting (bookshelf type) speakers as opposed to wide dispersion (surround type) speaker.

The RB series would work better for front height.  I would think the RB-41ii would be sufficient to use with the RF-52ii but that's my opinion.  Others may chime in with different views.

+1 and welcome!

• Like 1

I use FH speakers and have tried the direct radiators and the RS speakers.  There will be minimal difference if any between the two speakers.  FH speakers deliver spatial cues and add ambience.   There is no discrete FH channels on BD or DVD's.  I use RS 35's for front height because they are easier to wall mount and don't stick out from the wall.  There is no need to purchase special brackets to hold the speakers.  I have use the FH speakers on and off over the past 3 years and like the vertical dimension that they add to the sound field with movies and music.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Hi Derrick,

Curious on your take on a subject I have been discussing in another thread. I recently purchased a pair of RS42's and KS-525's. I wasn't planning on getting both of them, but the price was too good to pass. So I was just discussing the possibility of using the KS-525's as my surround and the 42's as my front height. I can't use them both as rear and side as I don't have the option for the side surround given my room is missing a wall. So, what are your thoughts on putting the 42's up as the front height speakers? I have them and no sense in letting them sit in a closet, but I don't want to have poor sound either.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Raz0r I would do the FH speakers and not use two sets of speakers on the rear wall.  A lot of 7.1 avr's allow for 9 speakers to be put up but, only 7 channels will play in a movie.  In most HT a 7.x system with FH or a 7.x with Surround Back will be just as immersive for the viewers.

• Like 1

So my next question is on the placement of the speaker. Does this make a big difference? If I put them over the outside edges of my LCD is that ok? Or do I need to mount them at the far edges of the wall near the ceiling? I am trying to avoid a small demolition of the wall to get the speakers up since they are just extras I am trying to use, but don't want to waste time either if I mount them in the wrong location. Thanks.