Mid-80's Klipsch Heresy Speakers?

phishphool

• 1 month later...

OK, let's take a deep breath here.....Once again, there's been a suggestion to change a component in a pair of speakers that the OP obviously knows little about....without knowing ANYTHING about what the OP listens to, their other components, their room configuration and treatment, and, whether they had planned on keeping them at all.....OR, whether they had listened to them and liked them or not....I mean really, do we construct buildings starting at the 4th floor?  No, we start at the first floor, but, we look at the plans first....wow, what a revelation.

Now, Mr. Phishphool...what are your plans?  Other components, other speakers, room, etc, etc, and if you intend to keep them.  A good start.

• Like 3

I think it was in late 85 heresy switched from the K77 to the K79. you might want to consider switching from your k77 to the Crites CT125, http://www.critesspeakers.com/klipsch_tweeters.html Best regards Moray James.

moray,

Greetings, you like the 125s better, better sound??

I installed the CT125 into my Heresy and yes I liked them very much. Much smoother and more extended you need to remember that we are talking totally harmonics here no fundamentals. I also changed out the stock phenolic mid diaphragm and went directly to the titanium diaphragm and that is a big improvement. Best regards Moray James.

I think it was in late 85 heresy switched from the K77 to the K79. you might want to consider switching from your k77 to the Crites CT125, http://www.critesspeakers.com/klipsch_tweeters.html Best regards Moray James.

moray,

Greetings, you like the 125s better, better sound??

I installed the CT125 into my Heresy and yes I liked them very much. Much smoother and more extended you need to remember that we are talking totally harmonics here no fundamentals. I also changed out the stock phenolic mid diaphragm and went directly to the titanium diaphragm and that is a big improvement. Best regards Moray James.

Moray,

As always a pleasure to hear your thoughts and experiences.

I find the tweeters on my Heresys and LaScalas a bit squeeky to be honest. Some of it is source to be sure, some possibly wear, some possibly engineeering v cost trade offs in the original design etc... or the level of tech at the time of manufacture.

Fot it's 25th birthday, I drove my McIntosh gear to the factory for a complete going over, which they did.

For a 35th birthday present, I think I will give my Heresy's a going over followed by the LaScalas. I think both may use the same tweeters. The horn drivers and woofers and crossovers are different to be sure.

I think I will do one pair of Heresy's and compare them to my other pair given the approaching long Winter. "Winter is Comming"

At 35, I feel that the original components have delivered full value, so changing some parts out is in order. I have new crossovers that will be going in too, yes I probably should have just resolder the caps, but this was before I had invested for the ongoing rebuilds of 30 components that will be ongoing projects as time and courage allow.......Mostly re-cappping working products and changing the relays and other easy and time consuming stuff.

While it is still warm outside, the Toyota may get some new wires and plugs, at 82K miles, they have done their job...........

Edited by Bubo

OK, let's take a deep breath here.....Once again, there's been a suggestion to change a component in a pair of speakers that the OP obviously knows little about....without knowing ANYTHING about what the OP listens to, their other components, their room configuration and treatment, and, whether they had planned on keeping them at all.....OR, whether they had listened to them and liked them or not....I mean really, do we construct buildings starting at the 4th floor?  No, we start at the first floor, but, we look at the plans first....wow, what a revelation.

Now, Mr. Phishphool...what are your plans?  Other components, other speakers, room, etc, etc, and if you intend to keep them.  A good start.

To some people, new parts will sound better regardless of needs. At least, it keeps the economy moving. I personally think the old K77's are better than the newer replacements.

Edited by cheric