Klipsch CF-3 crossovers updated...much better

avguytx

DISCLAIMER: I'M NOT CRAZY (AT LEAST I DON'T THINK SO, I DON'T DRINK OR DO DRUGS AND THERE WERE NO ALIENS NEAR THE HOUSE AS CLOSE AS I CAN TELL)

THERE WAS NO SOUND COMING FROM THE CROSSOVER, that's just silly thinking!  :lol:  It's much more likely the sound you heard was from the government directly injecting the sound into your head from satellites.  

I also don't drink or drug, however I find a nice tinfoil hat helps protect me from aliens and government mind control.

e50bd0177db19387358bee12228b95a0.jpg

+++/semi serious section

In the unlikely event it's not aliens and it's a blown tweeter, I have a couple of OEM CF-4 tweeters (same as the CF-3) I could part with.  :)

If you have a tweeter problem there are no replacement diaphragms I know of .  Bob Crites used to sell them and do the replacement work (it's a complicated fix) but he hasn't had those available for years.

The compression driver (CD) is high quality but really hard to find on the used market.  As I said, I have a couple I would sell as a set at a decent price, or a single I will let go of at the "I don't want to sell a single" price, $150 single or $200 pr shipped.  These of course would be a simple drop-in replacement.

A reasonable alternative is available, the EV DH-1506.  You would need a pair and they would not be a simple drop-in.  Additional bracing would be needed, and on the used market they don't come up very often.  I waited 3 months to find mine.  You can usually pick them up for about $100 each shipped, anything less than that and it would be a good deal.

If you need a third alternative I think I know a good one, but let me know and we can discuss it further, and it is available new for about the same price.  The problem is nobody has tried it before, but I think it might work.

EDIT:  Excuse the long post above about the CD, I mis-read your post, I thought the tweeter was blown.  You are saying it is NOT blown.

At this point if both CD's are OK, then you are right, it is likely a loose wire somewhere.  I remember when I got my old CF-4's there was a loose wire right at the binding post on the inside, which attaches to the crossover.  That would be the first place you might look for your loose wire.

Remember these have bi-wire posts, and the connecting Z has to be on solidly.  Mine were missing so I made up small wires to do the same thing.

This is the broken post without the Z connector.

post-58280-0-18600000-1444682732_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80

THanks for the responses guys.  My EV engineer friend says its the inductors  as Moray says above that can resonate.  I was in my garage with nothing on and the sound went away when I turned down the volume.  Extra weird.

I found problem in the xover.  The 2 ohm resistor in series with the tweeter was blown.  I removed it and tested it and it was blown so inserted jumper and it sounds great.  There must be a different version of the xover.  this one has 2 and 8 ohm resistors  in series with the inductor and capsin the parallel shunts and no 1 ohm resistors.

I found problem in the xover. The 2 ohm resistor in series with the tweeter was blown. I removed it and tested it and it was blown so inserted jumper and it sounds great. There must be a different version of the xover. this one has 2 and 8 ohm resistors in series with the inductor and caps in the parallel shunts and no 1 ohm resistors.

I have the CF-3 and CF-3b schematics.  The original CF-3 has the 2 & 8 ohm resistors listed.

CF-3_pn_1163421 (1).pdf

post-58280-0-56200000-1444704766_thumb.j