Laptop repair, and repurposing

The Dude

I have a HP laptop, I thought I fixed it tonight by entering safe mode. Then deleting the file(program) I thought was the problem(rew). The computer loaded, and I was even able to update my virus protection. Everything seemed fine, but then I go to open Google chrome and bam, it freezes up on me. Could it be Google chrome not wanting to play with Windows Vista. If so is there a different web browser I should try.

Now on the repurposing, all I want yo do is network it with my other computer to listen to music from it. Kind of like use it as a htpc.

Any ideas.

I can tell you how to get some more life out of your laptop; install a solid state drive.  The smaller one 128GB are under a hundred bucks now.  Put the operating system on it (I think around 70GB with Win 7 and Firefox) and it will run like you just bought a 3 times faster processor.

The Samsung Evo series is the highest rated product out of EVERYTHING carried by Newegg.

• Like 1

Try disabling all browser add-ons and clean out internet caches on all browser, delet all history, download Malwarebytes and run it.  This may help.  Also download Superanti - spyware and run it.  The OPS may be missing files or have damage crtical files and  may have things in the Registry that are problematic form deleting files in the past.

Edited by derrickdj1

Samsung EVO drives are rated for 5000 hours service life, the Samsung PRO drives are rated for 10,000 hours. Just sayin.

Thats why Samsung gives a 3 year warranty on the EVO and a 5 year warranty on the PRO.

When this is taken into consideration the PRO is actually the better deal.

• Like 1

What Model HP? 

I was given an old HP Laptop that never worked correctly with Vista.  Circa 2007.  It just did not have enough computing power to run Vista. 

The Win 7 idea and SSD HD are good ideas if you want to throw $200 at it. 

If you want to go the free route, I put Linux Mint on the old HP and it is now the favorite Laptop in the house.  It just works so nicely.  Try Linux Mint Mate Version 17.  It takes up about 5 to 6 gigs of HD space and has everything that you could want. 

Get rid of vista and install a fresh copy of Win 7

I have been planning to do this for some time now. 

If you want to go the free route, I put Linux Mint on the old HP and it is now the favorite Laptop in the house.  It just works so nicely. 

Would this have any compatibility issues if I was to build a media server for my windows computers.   If so that wouldn't do me any good, as I will eventually use this a a media extender to one of my systems.  

Don't know yet.  I have a windows server and it plays just fine with it.  My server will eventually be converted to a linux platform.  There are programs to remotely control the linux computer. 

Here is the real question.  Why not try it?  You need a 6 gb partition and a blank DVD.  You don't even have to install it, just run it from the DVD (understanding that it will be very slow running from a DVD) and then install if you like it.  You can still put Win 7 on another partition if you like. or delete Linux if you don't like it. 

• Like 1

Samsung EVO drives are rated for 5000 hours service life, the Samsung PRO drives are rated for 10,000 hours. Just sayin.

Thats why Samsung gives a 3 year warranty on the EVO and a 5 year warranty on the PRO.

Plus Newegg has the pro on sale for 89.99, which is the same price as the evo. 

• Like 1

If you want to go the free route, I put Linux Mint on the old HP and it is now the favorite Laptop in the house.  It just works so nicely.  Try Linux Mint Mate Version 17.  It takes up about 5 to 6 gigs of HD space and has everything that you could want. 

I am thinking of trying this when I get home.  

Plus Newegg has the pro on sale for 89.99, which is the same price as the evo. 

The Pro has has pros and cons, but I would say mostly pros, and there are some technical differences.  Something else to consider is the Evo cannot be placed in a RAID configuration.  The Pro was designed for the work place, and the EVO was designed from the ground up to be a consumer product, and (arguably) works better in a home computer.

That being said, both models are A+ products, you really can't go wrong with either one.

+++

Liner Notes:  I have the EVO 250GB model (PRO is 256), and it takes 10% of that space for the "high performance" aspect of the drive, which you will definitely want to do.  I don't know if the Pro uses that feature or not.

You also might to note that the smaller EVO is 120 GB, the PRO is 128.

Edited by wvu80