Will flush cutting router bit work on LaScala?

Coytee

Option 4 - cut out the motorboard and install a flat piece of wood and do the ported bass mod. Then flip the La Scala over so this is at the bottom and put the new horn in a separate enclosure that sits on top of the bass caninet. The height should also be better as the mids will be closer to ear level.
There will be ring nails holding in the motorboard. You could make a slotted port to mount in the old horn cutout. That's what I plan on doings with the ones I am working on. And yes, flip them upside down...

Bruce

On looking at them (online) the image I see with them is using the 3/4" base as the guide to cut something like 1/4" or maybe counter top laminate. I don't see anything showing a flush cut on 3/4" plywood.
Here's a 1/2" x 1":

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-1-2-in-x-1-in-Carbide-Flush-Trimming-Router-Bit-DR42110/100660718

You can get a 1/2 x 2 if you want, but I think you would have to be more careful.

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

I am not a woodworker, but do what I must.

Given your question, I would not practice on a pair of LaScala cabinits.

I would call some local cabinit makers, and see how much they want to stop by the house and cut the cabinits in your garage, and make the top boxes for you. They may want to do the trimming at their shop, in which case either you take them in a U haul van or have them picked up.  The top boxes will be at their shop, time to think about stock v aftermarket horm possilities like Crites, or others. You could

A. oversize the top boxes to accomadate a differnt horn and a different tweeter like the Beyma baboon but  that so many like. Or

B. same size top box with larger horn, and a small box with the Beyma tweeter on top, floating as it were.

They may like it if you supply the materials like birch so they don't have to screw around with it, cash is always appreciated. If you know the horns you want, I would supply them to the cabinit maker so the holes etc fit the first time.

I built a dog house once, it looked like a coffin with a pie hole.

I use a flush cut bit all the time when building cabinets. As stated you could cut down as much and possible so there isn't as much to cut with the router. I have a Ryobi router that only accepts 1/4" shanks, this works but I usually have to make 3-4 passes with 3/4" plywood. If you are going to spend the money get something close to 2 H.P..

This will be my next router.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005QEVQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2IECH497AGVZI&coliid=I3091LPHBZP4RF

Then a good 1/2" bit will help eliminate the need to make multiple cuts. Take at look at my sig of some of my builds, I am not as great as some of the woodworkers around. but they might help you with the right method.

Here is what I did to my Lascala, same as what I think you want to do but with a different horn.

c5a1b3c86176604c8f83ca8934cc2434.jpg

The lascala is hard to see as it is black, and I haven't made actual legs. But hopefully you get the idea.

Edited by duder1982