Newbie On A/V Systems

rcooper

I have the 62's front and bic sub thinking it is the sub kinda sound ummm womm wom wom the stops after about 20 secs or so if i turn the gain down all the way it stops maybe to close to the other speakers?? its like 3-4 feet

only way i can discribe the sound coming from sub seems to be lol

Edited by rcooper

I have the 62's front and bic sub thinking it is the sub kinda sound ummm womm wom wom the stops after about 20 secs or so if i turn the gain down all the way it stops maybe to close to the other speakers?? its like 3-4 feet

There is no way that subs being close to your mains is the cause of such a thing.

I would unplug the RCA cable going from your receiver to the sub, then power down normally. If you still hear it then yeah something weird is going on with the sub or power supply but it almost sounds like your receiver is pumping out funky signals while shutting down and your sub is picking up on it. I have the old version of your receiver and it wouldn't surprise me that much. Most people leave these consumer friendly subs on and let it auto-power off, and if you're doing that, I don't see how it could be the sub amp doing it, its just amplifying what gets put into it.

I've had significant trouble with ground loops before as well, having the receiver and sub plugged into different circuits and having a bad ground. I can't really reach that conclusion based on "umm womm wom wom" but if it is constant that might be an issue. See if you can borrow a different receiver, or just buy one at a big box store that has a good return policy and see if it still happens. Try plugging the receiver into the same outlet as the sub just for fun.

Curious as to whether "ummm womm wom wom" means it is constant or pulsating. I have heard pro audio gear hum in a weird way when shutting down but it is constant. Have never heard consumer friendly gear do this.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

well after looking at it more it is a hum sound so i have unplugged the cable and it stops tried a diffrent cable that i had to test it seems to still do i am planning on plugging the 2 prong sub plug into the surge to see what happens. I think it does shut down after a few mins i have pulled the cable away from everything else so next move is unplug everything except sub and see from there

i have unplugged the cable and it stops tried a diffrent cable that i had to test it seems to still do

Yeah I don't think its the cable, I don't see how an RCA cable could introduce significant humming, specifically during the shut-down cycle. It can complete a circuit that causes a ground loop and hum that way, but getting a better quality cable isn't going to fix that.

I think it does shut down after a few mins

The ones I see online have a three way toggle... off/on/auto. Try both on and auto. If it is on "auto" now and you turn it to "on" and it still does it while shutting down the receiver, I wouldn't think that it has anything to do with the sub amp doing weird stuff while in shut-down mode, since it isn't shutting down in the first place. If turning it to "on" fixes it, then yeah something is probably jacked up with the amp. Sounds like the receiver or something weird with your electrical supply but maybe not.

okay after pluggin in to surge with everything else same issue hum...... tried different cable same..... tried on/auto same..... tried 0/180 phase i think..... same hummm maybe a bad amp like others were saying guess a trip to gainesville this week to replace it unless someone can come up with something else

okay after pluggin in to surge with everything else same issue hum...... tried different cable same..... tried on/auto same..... tried 0/180 phase i think..... same hummm maybe a bad amp like others were saying guess a trip to gainesville this week to replace it unless someone can come up with something else

This only happens when you shut off your receiver right? Or did I misunderstand?

i have unplugged the cable and it stops tried a diffrent cable that i had to test it seems to still do

Yeah I don't think its the cable, I don't see how an RCA cable could introduce significant humming, specifically during the shut-down cycle. It can complete a circuit that causes a ground loop and hum that way, but getting a better quality cable isn't going to fix that.

I think it does shut down after a few mins

The ones I see online have a three way toggle... off/on/auto. Try both on and auto. If it is on "auto" now and you turn it to "on" and it still does it while shutting down the receiver, I wouldn't think that it has anything to do with the sub amp doing weird stuff while in shut-down mode, since it isn't shutting down in the first place. If turning it to "on" fixes it, then yeah something is probably jacked up with the amp. Sounds like the receiver or something weird with your electrical supply but maybe not.
I had a 35 foot cable

Going to my inuke before and it hummed loud as heck when I shut the receiver off but left sub amp on. No biggie as hum stopped if receiver was off. However once relocated the amp and changed rca cables hum is gone!

I had a 35 foot cable

Going to my inuke before and it hummed loud as heck when I shut the receiver off but left sub amp on. No biggie as hum stopped if receiver was off. However once relocated the amp and changed rca cables hum is gone!

Weird. I can't think of what would cause such a thing other than a ground loop, and moving wires around shouldn't fix that. Moving to a different OUTLET, sure.

sounds more and more like a bad sub

Maybe, but if it were me, I'd get one of those RCA cables with a ground loop isolator in them. Replace the cable that goes from your receiver to your sub with it. Just google "RCA ground loop isolator" or just go here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SNI1/PAC-SNI-1.html?tp=61807&awkw=75640380625&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47623509025&awdv=c

http://www.walmart.com/ip/PAC-SNI-1-Ground-Loop-Signal-Isolator/21550471

These things work wonders and if nothing else they are nice to have for troubleshooting just to rule out a ground loop. I have an old one I could send to you if necessary but they're cheap enough already, worst case $15 with free shipping. Radio Shack used to stock them and even Wal-Mart has some although maybe not in stock. If it is a ground loop, it will stop. You can either dig in to your electrical at that point or simply continue to use this cable.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-ground-loop-isolator/9855136.p?id=1218186610567&skuId=9855136&st=PAC%20RCA%20Ground%20Loop%20Noise%20Isolator&cp=1&lp=1

Those are in stock in tons of Best Buy stores.