Sub shut off

timdog5000

Okay, I've never experienced this before with my SVS. I was watching edge of tomorrow this evening and the beginning of the movie shut my sub down.I could not figure out what was wrong for a while into the movie I just know it did not sound right .I looked in the back of the sub but the light was on so I didn't think anymore of it. But none of the effects had any weight to them so I figured out something was wrong with the sub so I turned it off and back on again and we were back in business. Did I have it turned up too loud what would shut it off like that?

Normally a subwoofer amp may shut down due to thermal protection (keeps the amplifier from overheating and destroying itself).

Otherwise its possible if your sub has an auto on function it may not have been sent enough power to turn on the auto on function.

Also possible the amp may be malfunctioning but its best to rule out other possible causes first as mentioned above.

• Like 1

The start of the show has a nasty sine wave that can freak you out. Since I new to watch out before the movie, I started this one 5 above reference. I lked Oblivion better than this one for a Tom Crusie movie but, not bad.

did you really do 5 ABOVE reference??

Yes, the only reason I started out a little high is because I don't use a HPF on the vented sub.  So far, Craig at Chane was right with plugging the vent without the HPF.  In no way will I tell someone else to try this with vented sub.  And, the drivers are under warranty, lol.  I did not use any boost of the trim, just in case???? :) 

Edited by derrickdj1

Yes, the only reason I started out a little high is because I don't use a HPF on the vented sub. So far, Craig at Chane was right with plugging the vent without the HPF. In no way will I tell someone else to try this with vented sub. And, the drivers are under warranty, lol. I did not use any boost of the trim, just in case???? :)

make up your mind. This thread you said above reference. The other said you were 5 below reference. Which is it?

-5 on the avr.  I should have worded things better to prevent any confusion. The sealed subs amps are under more stress and I actually worrry about them more with scenes like this since they use more power.  I think I wil run out of power before I run out of excursion.  Having the subs on t5 amp breakers is the limiter.

The Pioneer goes from low -80 to +12, I guess I can see why you may have thought I was at +5.   I have the avr set to never go pass 0 for safety.  I don't think I can damage anything between -80 and 0 after numerous trials on all the heavy hitters in movies.  Well, I could damage my hearing if I am not cognitive of the loudness. :)

Edited by derrickdj1