New processor?

W27

I'm currently running a Marantz AV7005. I was considering the Denon 4520. I'm not big on using a receiver as a pre/pro, but I've heard there's virtually no difference and you get a lot more bang for the buck. The only reason this popped into my head, is I see they're blowing out the 4520's all over for under $1000 now. I usually buy as they're closing out a model, so I stay fairly current without taking such big hits. I figure after I sell my AV7005 it wouldn't be much difference. Soon my marantz won't be worth squat.

As I was posting this I saw you guys posted about Dolby Atmos. Should I wait for that? I'm sure it'll be pricey at first. I hate the depreciation of processors. I honestly rarely use my surround sound. I have separate 2 channel systems for music. I usually watch movies late at night and can't even turn it on:(

Best Buy Magnolia by me has them for $999 on closeout right now. Slick deals had links to some other places doing $999 with free shipping. They've been available refurbished all over for that at places like accessories4less. I also know a guy getting rid of his that would give it to me for considerably less. I don't know if I'd want used though.

Do you think it would be a significant upgrade over the AV7005? 

I never heard the 7005 but the 4520 is/was Denon's flagship AVR with all currednt features available at the time while the 7005 was Marantz's 2nd tier pre/pro with a nice array of features and MultEQ XT.  

I think XT32 would be the real difference, right? I never even turn on my subwoofer

I think so too and remember it is not just about dual subwoofer EQ, it is much more than that.  

Bill

• Like 1

Get a new one for 1000$ at magnolia with three year warranty vs one year with refurb

How do you like yours so far scrappy? Do you feel the upgrade of xt32 is way better than what you had before? I wonder how it comprares to my macc. (gears are turning in my head :) ). I should just wait for a 4k one. But who knows that could be 5 years from now. 

Get a new one for 1000$ at magnolia with three year warranty vs one year with refurb

How do you like yours so far scrappy? Do you feel the upgrade of xt32 is way better than what you had before? I wonder how it comprares to my macc. (gears are turning in my head :) ). I should just wait for a 4k one. But who knows that could be 5 years from now.
i like it so far. Better yes. How much not sure. I'd have to switch back to see what I gained after having it for a bit longer. I have a buddy who runs mcacc and I think his setup sounds great. Got an Avs meet coming up sometime before the end of the year to compare most of the calibration systems. Should be fun. We will have ypao, audyssey, anthem, mcacc, and trying to find trinonov? Gonna cal everything before the meet. Then just do x amount of clips and then switch to the next and takes not he's the whole time.

Thanks for the responses. I know I'm missing out without the subs on, but between the neighbor, wife, and kids... It's just too much. I live in NYC. I'm on the top floor with no one on the sides, but there's someone downstairs. I run 7 RF-7II's for surround. They're too much on their own. When I turn on the sub, it's more of feeling the difference. I know they feel it downstairs even more lol I'm planning to buy a house pretty soon. Once I get a basement it'll be on!!

i like it so far. Better yes. How much not sure. I'd have to switch back to see what I gained after having it for a bit longer. I have a buddy who runs mcacc and I think his setup sounds great. Got an Avs meet coming up sometime before the end of the year to compare most of the calibration systems. Should be fun. We will have ypao, audyssey, anthem, mcacc, and trying to find trinonov? Gonna cal everything before the meet. Then just do x amount of clips and then switch to the next and takes not he's the whole time.

More info.  I am using a Denon AVR5800 (their "monster receiver" from 10 years ago; 170 wpc x 7 and huge capacitors and power supply, weighs about 65 lbs) to drive 4 ohm speakers in a HT.  I sounds fantastic and drives the speakers well.

How will the 4520 compare?  Its price point is much less than the 5800.  I can also keep the 5800 and if I want to use a pre/pro, there is an "ext in" mode just uses the amps and volume control.