To Upgrade or Not

Jim

I have a setup in my living room that I am do not know which way to go with. I originally purchased the KSB Line in 1997 that entailed the KSB 3.1,  1.1, and KSC C-1 speakers. Due to 4 kids and 2 very large dogs the 3.1's kept getting knocked over so I sold them and kept the remaining KSB's. Without doing much research I have been bouncing around and purchased a set of KG 3.5's and RF 25's. Then I realized the difference with them.I have the KG 3.5'S hooked up as my mains as the tamber matching is better I was told by Klispch then the RF 25's. I am looking for a little direction on whether or not to get rid of the KSB's and KG 3.5's, and finish off the remaining speakers for the RF series, or getting rid of the RF's and keeping said KSB's. I just got rid of a Yamaha RX V675 and am replacing with a Denon AVR X-4000 receiver, so I know the KSB's and the KG 3.5's which are rated lower than the Rf's have the potential to blow easier. Looking for a little more guidance on maybe what to pair up with the KSB's within a tower speaker, or if I should just get rid of them and get  the RF series that matched the RF-25's. I do know I am not up to the "QUALITY" of the speakers some on here have, but again, 4 kids and 2 dogs limit my buying power.

It's impossible to knock over LaScalas. A pair of them and an Academy center coupled with a good sub will knock the socks off what you have. 

You should be able to find a decent pair of LaScalas for ~$1,000. Academy speakers are fairly small and readily available on the web. 

Do you have a sub already? You might want another one.

If you are on a smaller budget than LaScalas and an Academy, then the KG-4.x or 5.x with a KG-2.x is a great upgrade from where you are. You can buy 2.5's for ~$125 and the big KG's go for $3-400/pr. Your existing KG-3.5's would get moved to the back.

Edited by mustang guy

No disrespect meant to Mustang Guy since I had an Olds 4-4-2 , ok, maybe a little disrespect :P but in my experience (owned LaScalas for a really long time and had three (3) Academy's), the mating of an Academy and a LaScala was (for me) an epic fail.  I had one for center and one on each side above the LaScalas for heights.  I've since sold the Academy's and don't miss them a bit.

Sell one of the kids and perhaps sell a pint or two of the remaining childrens blood......and shoot instead for a LaScala center.  They're nearly party/animal/child/idiot proof.  Can't poke a finger into a driver to create any damage.  Even the woofer is protected unless you are severely multi-jointed :huh:

I hear type O blood is going for a premium these days.  :ph34r:

No disrespect meant to Mustang Guy since I had an Olds 4-4-2 , ok, maybe a little disrespect :P but in my experience (owned LaScalas for a really long time and had three (3) Academy's), the mating of an Academy and a LaScala was (for me) an epic fail.  I had one for center and one on each side above the LaScalas for heights.  I've since sold the Academy's and don't miss them a bit.

Sell one of the kids and perhaps sell a pint or two of the remaining childrens blood......and shoot instead for a LaScala center.  They're nearly party/animal/child/idiot proof.  Can't poke a finger into a driver to create any damage.  Even the woofer is protected unless you are severely multi-jointed :huh:

LOL. I use a LaScala center, and have never heard an Academy center. I was going from what everyone has said. I +1 the LaScala center if you can swing it.  :)

Just know that if you plan to head in the RF direction, you'll need to stick with older RFs to timbre match with your RF-25s.

You'll need to look for Rc-25 or Rc-35 for center and RS-25/35 for surrounds. Or even first gen RC-3 and RS-3s.

The newer reference stuff is much more laid back compared your RF-25s which have a much stronger midrange emphasis.

LOL. I use a LaScala center, and have never heard an Academy center. I was going from what everyone has said. I +1 the LaScala center if you can swing it.   :)

If memory serves me, I had the center channel in my HT (Yamaha but forget the model number, it was their top of the line in 2004)...anyways, I had the center channel maxed out in db's and still recall the LaScalas overpowering the Academy.

Since I had three to start with, I later entertained the idea of going with a 5.? Academy HT system figuring it would be easier to buy two more Academy's than (at the time) more LaScalas.  Gads, now look where I've ended up.

Unfortunately for me, my kids keep coming back when I sell them, so I am on a very tight budget right now. I think I may have to go with the reference series with the older ones as I am limited on even spending 1k for the mains. If it were a few years back, no problem. The other set you sent the link to Mustang is pick up only, so that will not work for me. I guess I will have to go with what Mattser is recommending as they are more in my price zone now. So I guess the KG 3.5'S AND KSB's are going to have to be sold then. As I am new here, are we able to post on here simultaneously with Ebay and Craigslist?

Also I was going to ask since I'm a big fan of the RF-25, how do you like them compared to the KG 3.5

I do like the sound on them, problem was they were under powered with the other receiver. I am waiting for the new receiver to come in to listen to them and the KG's and compare them, but it won't be an equal comparison as they are rated different with the wattage.Maybe if I had the 4 or 5 series of the KG. I've been out of the loop so long with audio that I'm jumping around now,lol. When I bought the KSB's back in 97ish,they were new out the box and I never had to buy anything else because they sounded and still sound very good. But the timbre is not the same as the newer models and I can hear the difference with it, everything sounds just off a little. I actually considered going back to get another pair of the KSB 3.1's and screwing them down to the stands they were originally on. So now I'm stuck in an in between because I know how I am when I get into a "hobby" like this. Unfortunately no one in the house really cares about how everything sounds except me, so I'm definitely not looking to build a big system in the living room. I actually had started building a theater in the basement but got rid of everything as I was the only one who would go down there to watch anything. So my "theater" turned into the family room where I have the KF 28'S, CF 20, AND KS 14's with the Yamaha RX A2020 Receiver set up 9.2. And even that is a work in progress as I am still playing with speaker positions. Don't know which speakers I should sell at this point.

• Moderators

Welcome Jim, I understand the budget thing for sure, just do a little at a time when you can.

Maby try gluing some really pointy spikes on the sides of the speakers so they don't get knocked over, they will learn quickly to leave them alone. :o Never tried the spikes but our kids and grandkids know they better not touch them, if they don't want a foot inserted in there backside. 

LOL, I already sold the ones knocked over, hence the buying of several different tower models. It was more the dogs than the kids as both dogs are 100 lbs and tend to like to play, one is a Boxer, the other and American Bulldog. So when they come in from outside they get a little hyper. The wife of course tried to hide 2 falls. Maybe she needs the foot,lol

• Moderators

Well it's understandable from dogs, well the good part is no one will break in and steal your stuff, for sure. :emotion-21:

Me, because of $ I bought used, a little at a time until I had what I wanted, start with mains and go from there, diy for sub if you can.

Stick around the advice here will save you some money compared to just trying things. take your time it will happen.

Can't blame the wife, they always try to cover up for kids grandkids or even pets, it's just the way they are, BUT let you screw up just a little and you will never hear then end of it ! :lol:

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

Awesome! Let us know when you get it all put together...

Just purchased the RC-25 for $99.00, a set of RS-3's for $140.00,and a second set of RS-3's for $110.00. Hopefully didn't overpay on any of them.

Edited by Jim

Well it's understandable from dogs, well the good part is no one will break in and steal your stuff, for sure. :emotion-21:

Me, because of $ I bought used, a little at a time until I had what I wanted, start with mains and go from there, diy for sub if you can.

Stick around the advice here will save you some money compared to just trying things. take your time it will happen.

Can't blame the wife, they always try to cover up for kids grandkids or even pets, it's just the way they are, BUT let you screw up just a little and you will never hear then end of it ! :lol:

yes and they remind you every 6 months to fix something like we aren't going to get around to it.

LOL. I use a LaScala center, and have never heard an Academy center. I was going from what everyone has said. I +1 the LaScala center if you can swing it.   :)

I don't think I can afford the LaScala's at this point, and never even heard them. But my question is from the pictures I see, where are the mids and bass coming from? It looks like there's only a horn from the pictures I see.