Which bookshelves to replace RF35s?

substance-p

It's time to remodel the bonus room and the compromise is that we do a built in shelf that runs the length of the wall and all components have to housed there.

This won't be an issue for the RC-64 or for the RSW-10d; however, the RF35s will have to be swapped out for bookshelves. This is a family media room that will be used more for cartoons than anything else but will also see movie and football duty. Relatively small room.

I was thinking RB81s but will be open to looking for pre-owned or trades as I am needing to move my RFs.

Any suggestions or things to keep in mind?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Edited by substance-p

• Moderators

I've always loved the sound of the RB-61's.  They can be found for less than $200 - $300 in the used market, are front ported (great for placing in  cabinets and entertainment centers), and very good bass response (especially for a bookshelf speaker). 

I just purchased a pair for a friend of mine and he loved them.  Super clean sound.

The 61s seem like a relative bargain for sure.

The 61's are really nice speakers.

Don't overlook the RB-35's or if you can find a pair, the RB-75's. The 75's are "bookshelf" speakers on steroids.

Bill

I would love to snag a set of RB-75s in black, fingers crossed a set comes up.

It's good to know that there are several solid RB options.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I would love to find some RB75s (unlikely), but am also focusing on the 81s and 35s. It seems as though the 81s are widely available as the 81 iis are still in production and seem to be around 625. I've seen a couple of 35s for around 450. Now it's a question of determining any real advantage of one over the other for pairing with the rc-64.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I would love to find some RB75s (unlikely), but am also focusing on the 81s and 35s. It seems as though the 81s are widely available as the 81 iis are still in production and seem to be around 625. I've seen a couple of 35s for around 450. Now it's a question of determining any real advantage of one over the other for pairing with the rc-64.

$450 for 35s is too high. Standard used price should be more around $300.

$450 for 35s is too high. Standard used price should be more around $300.

That's what I was wondering. That might also explain why the two sets I ran across had been sitting a while.