Denon AVR-X4000 as a Pre/pro?

willland

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4000/denon-avr-x4000-7.2-4k-ultra-hd-networking-receiver-w/airplay/1.html

I am seriously considering one of these to be used exclusively as a preamp/processor.  Loving the NAD T175HD I have but would like the networking features and Audyssey MultEQ XT32 with SubEQ HT on board.  I "may" lose a bit of musicality that the NAD provides in spades but I have other rigs to really indulge in quality music listening sessions.  Though the NAD shines very brightly with BD concerts.

Any thoughts, experiences are welcome.

6078.Jpg

Bill

Edited by willland

It looks like a lot of bang for the buck, best Denon for the money. Networking/controlling from anywhere on your property is a have to nowdays for me. Amazon had used/like new listed for $580 delivered a few weeks back. Good reviews with decent musicality, sub eq, the best in a while from Denon mid line.

I have the receiver also, it is very nice. Does a lot more than most other receivers in this price range. I purchased it for the amenities as well as the sound being in between Yamaha and Marantz. Music is very crisp and clear on my RF-25's and I don't use an amp. EBAY has them cheaper, not refurbs, and also new in box. I actually purchased this receiver after speaking to Klipsch several times in reference to different speakers.Everyone there kept saying to link this with their speakers. Denon's customer service is also a lot better than some of the other companies out there if you need to speak to someone directly.

Edited by Jim

I will have to think on this a while.
you know bill i would say to anyone else that they should make the move but with you and all your subs i am gonna say keep the NAD. you have countless hours I'm sure into getting your 5 subs to play well together and i have no doubt that they do. and as far as the rest of the eq, id say you would probably miss the NAD sound once it was gone.  
  • Like 1

and also to be honest all the networking stuff isn't all that. both my receivers that have networking function well from my iPhone but the main thing to me (airplay) is always jacking up with pandora. however my apple tv and its airplay with pandora works flawlessly. so if you are just wanting to try airplay then i say grab an apple tv for 99 bucks and sit back and play with it as it can be a lot of fun

• Like 1

I will have to think on this a while.
you know bill i would say to anyone else that they should make the move but with you and all your subs i am gonna say keep the NAD. you have countless hours I'm sure into getting your 5 subs to play well together and i have no doubt that they do. and as far as the rest of the eq, id say you would probably miss the NAD sound once it was gone.  

It's 4 subs now since I moved the RSW-10d into the LR with my RB-75's. ;)  But who's counting? :D

Countless hours is an understatement and I still have to raise and lower the subwoofer gain on some stereo and multichannel music.  That's not really a problem since I have that feature on my NAD remote, which the Denon remote does not have.  As a matter of fact, I can raise the volume on the center channel and surrounds as well as the subwoofer on the fly with the remote.  More reason to keep the NAD.

I still will ponder this much more.

Thanks for your insightful feedback also. :unsure:

Bill

Edited by willland

Bill..unless you need those features forget it. I doubt the Denon sound will compare. Myself I like.networking so much I would pick an Onkyo 626 over a 2k prepro or avr without. I have 4acre yard units at each end shed and garage.Its great for outside events I can control from my phone or tab all units from my 3tb drive, pcs or internet radio anywhere on property.. Plug for Caseys classic rock and classic deep cuts simply the best biggest variety and no ads.

Bill one other thing on the Denon receiver is you can run 3 zones if you'd like, or expand the 7 channels to 9 channels and pick the speakers you want to amp directly from the remote,you also have the remote app for phone or pad. With the subs it has a better setup with Audyssey,and you're getting 125 watts per channel rated.  I expanded my unit from 7.2 up to 9.2 and am going to add another 2 subs to become 9.4. Yamaha,Onkyo and most other 7 channel receivers don't allow this unless you get into their flagship receivers,and I'm speaking from my own experience, I've had 4 Onkyos and 3 of them had the HDMI issue with them.The 6,7,8 series are notoriously horrible for this and with the HDMI stuff only being out for the time frame it's been out is not a good indicator for me with their product. I'm sure there are many out there that will say different but I do  know that I've never had an issue with Yamaha and as this is my 1st Denon,I can't say until I've had it several years. None of the receivers in my opinion are well made as they were 10-15 years ago and even farther back.No disrespect to anyone else on here that picked a different receiver,I'm just going by my experience.

I am sort of in the same boat as others. If you really love it, keep the NAD and just find some sort of other component for networking.

On another note, while I see absolutely NO problem with the Denon, the newer Yamahas get consistantly great reviews EXCEPT for their YPAO auto setup. And you seem like more of a DIY/tweaker type of guy, as opposed to an audio purist. Not trying to toss a wrench into this thread, or dismiss your choice of AVR, just want to throw out that opinion. 

I bought a refurbished RX-V963 a few years back as a stop gap when I bought an HDTV to replace my lovely doorstop (connectivity wise) AVR5600. I never "upgraded" the receiver. I will probably buy a new AVR in 2015 and probably will go with another mid-priced unit (as they become obsolete so quickly) I am looking into all the big names, but I don't know if another brand could make my old khorns sing any better than the Yammie and I like the feature set for the money.

Having said all of that, all these brands of AVRs sound much more alike than different.