Tweeter options - KLF-30

eth2

why don't you start by replacing the very poor sounding stock poly tweeter diaphragm with one of Bob Crites's titanium diaphragms. The difference is nothing short of stunning. If you have already made the jump to the ti diaphragms then you might consider using a set of KLF10 tweeters which are almost identical to the mid horns in your KLF30. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

Thanks, Morey.

I will send the tweeters to Bob. However, one speaker has no output from the tweeter and very little from the horn. I am wondering if it is a crossover problem as well. I suppose I could reverse the tweeters and see if the problem persists. Should I have the crossovers recapped at this point?

Should I do anything to the mid-range in terms of new drivers? If I was to get a set of KLF10 tweeters, would I need to modify the motor board?

Thanks,

Earl

Edited by eth2

I take it you don't want to DIY on your diaphragm replacements?  You might consider sending both the tweeter and XO's and let Bob test your components and give you his professional opinion. 

Shipping wouldn't cost much extra and the speakers would be out of commission without the tweeters anyway.

• Like 1

you cannot fit a KLF10 tweeter in where the K79 was it's way to big I said it was almost the exact same size as the mid horn in the KLF30 Y(has the same dispersion and is very similar)the only place to put it is on top of the cabinet. It uses the same motor as the K79 and the same diaphragm. Best regards Moray James.

Are there any other tweeter lenses that will work with that diaphragm?

Perhaps a KG4?, still exponential but a bit larger.

KG5.5 and KG4.2 has tractrix horn would either of them work?

last night I swapped tweeters with a Forte and a RC3 and thought the Forte tweeter had more output than the RC.

I guess the question is what is the largest lens that Klipsch used with that tweeter dia.?

Matt

the mid range horn of the KLF20/30 is used on a couple of pro Klipsch as a tweeter. This by the way demonstrates the superiority of these designs over the mid horns of the Heritage line up. The wider the available bandwidth the better the horn design. The CF3/4 horn is also suitable as a tweeter. For id and low mid you want a horn which is as large as is acceptable that is why the K402 is the size that it is. This delivers good polar control to as low as possible. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

My KLF 30 sounded good I’ve had them since 01’ they were already discontinued when I found them new at a store here. I’ve been really pleased. After reading the forum I ordered Titanium Tweeter Diaphragms from Bob Crites. I checked the resistance on the original ones and they checked out fine both reading slightly more than 8 ohms. After a quick and easy change out I’m VERY HAPPY!!! The new improved sound was  immediately noticeable! The speakers never sounded better! I highly recommend this retrofit. Took ten minutes! Easy Peasy!

Randy

Panama City Beach