Subs for RB-61 II

MJHanson

I have a set of RB-61's on the way and want to know if I should be looking at a sub to go with them. Set up is strictly for music and the room is roughly 12' x 16'. I know the first response will be wait until the 61's are hooked up and then decide but I guess I was looking to hear more from people who already have a pair of the 61's. If they have a sub and what size?

I owned 61's and I'll give you the answer you are looking for. Yes you will want a sub even with just two channel music.

While the 61's will impress you they still can benefit from a subwoofer.

Now type of music, listening levels, size of your room, and budget are what we need to know to suggest the right direction to go.

I used to have a two channel setup consisting of heresys and a velodyne optimum 8. It was a fantastic subwoofer, very right, perfect sized for my room. Only issue was after the volume went up a bit the heresey pulled away very quickly.

I'd say a very good sealed 10 or 12, but until you answer the questions above it's hard to say.

Meanwhile you can look at Svs, rythmik, psa, and hsu subwoofers. Those all represent the top internet direct brands.

Rythmik is probably at the top for music guys as they are servo driven subs.

Looking forward to helping you out.

Oh and also see that's your first post. Welcome to the forum. This is a great community. Lots of good guys around here. And while we sometimes disagree with each other cause of variances in opinion on certain things, we all share the passion for Klipsch. And we usually resolve things much better than other forums.

This is the only forum I post actively in and I'm a member on quite a few of them.

MJHanson,

Welcome to the forum.

As mentioned, the RB-61II's are great sounding bookshelf speakers that have a good bit of punch by themselves.  But to hit the deeper notes, a subwoofer is highly suggested.

I see your room is 12' x 16' assuming a 10' ceiling which would put it around 1920ft3.  With that size room, the subwoofer possibilities are unlimited.

I am using an RSW-10d with a pair of RB-75's in a room(rooms) about 4000ft3 and the sound is phenominal.  Not boomy, but punchy, fast, and accurate.

Not sure what you want to spend but an SVS SB-2000 would be my starting place.

I did own a pair of 61's and mated them up with my RSW-10d in a 13' x 13' x 10' room and the sound and the sound was incredible.  I found no difficiencies at all.

Bill

Edited by willland

Welcome to the group. The black Friday deals are already starting to appear so your timing is great.

What are you looking to spend? I know the Outlaw subs usually go on sale this time of the year. Like the fine people of this forum already mentioned, SVS, Rythmik, Reaction Audio and PSA subs are all top performers.

Music is pretty much classic, heavy, and alternative rock. I got the speakers on sale for $450 and can't justify spending more on a sub than the speakers themselves. I live in a house so I tend to play my music on the eastern side of the dial (much to my girlfriend's disdain). I'm pretty much of a newbie so some budget constraints pertain. I have been in love with Klipsch since long ago when a buddy of mine had a set of the Klipschorn's with the unfinished (natural) cabinets and the sound blew me away. I appreciate all the feedback and will let you guys know the results when all the components are in place. 

I got the speakers on sale for $450 and can't justify spending more on a sub than the speakers themselves.

You really don't have to spend more than that to get a quality musical sub.

Are you open to a used subwoofer?

Where is your location?

Bill 

Used suits me fine. I'm right where Illinois, Wisconsin, and Iowa all meet on the banks of the Mississippi.

This sub would be perfect with the 61II's.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/subwoofers-klipsch-rsw-12-powered-subwoofer-2014-11-13-home-theater-60657-chicago-il

It has a "make offer" option.

Bill

• Like 1

UPS just got done dropping off a big box with two boat anchors inside. I must of looked like a school boy on Xmas morning as I took the package to my man cave and hooked these bad boys up to my Onkyo pro amp. OMG!!! First track played was Tool, Jambi.  Scrappydue was right when he said I would be impressed with the RB's but like all good things, you always want more. After I consult my wallet I need to contact Willland. Thanks to everyone who replied. Great forum and I plan on sticking around. 

• Like 1

Well guys as luck would have it my local Best Buy ran a sale starting yesterday and wouldn't you know it they had the R-10SW sub for $100 off of retail ($349) and I combined that with a $100 dollar gift card that I received for my birthday. Walked out with the sub for right around $160. It sounds great! Now its time to wake up some neighbors.

Have a great Turkey Day everyone. 

• Like 1