Stephens Tru-Sonic speaker

tube fanatic

I was contacted by a forum member who wants to use a very low power SET with a single one of these (similar to the one shown in the thread below) in a mono system.  It seems that the sensitivity/efficiency and impedance curve is a big unknown.  Does anyone have info on this?

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=speakers&m=333489

Thanks for any help!

Maynard

I was contacted by a forum member who wants to use a very low power SET with a single one of these (similar to the one shown in the thread below) in a mono system.  It seems that the sensitivity/efficiency and impedance curve is a big unknown.  Does anyone have info on this?

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=speakers&m=333489

Thanks for any help!

Maynard

I haven't seen any info on those but have heard those components recently with 2a3 SET and it was really freaking good. The Stephens stuff is really good. Wish I had been collecting it.

Thanks for the comments.  The big question is whether only 1 watt will be sufficient.  In a 2 channel setup I would be less concerned.  He says that he doesn't listen very loudly, but that can be subjective, and we don't have an SPL reading at the listening position to work with either.  Unfortunately, he's a few hundred miles from here, or I'd take a ride and find out first hand :D

Maynard

Come on Maynard. Tweak the circuit for a whopping 2 watts and be done with it.

Yeah, 2 watts is probably enough, but we can't know for sure! :)

If the speaker is an e1, 2, or 3, it is about 98 dB @ 1 watt.

I desperately would love to find an E3 for our 1957 atomic ranch.

Dave, you had a discussion on AK about the actual speaker which the gentleman (the person whom you PM'd me about) purchased, and expressed some concerns about the cabinet not being original, etc.  I can send you the link if you can't locate it.

Maynard 

Come on Maynard. Tweak the circuit for a whopping 2 watts and be done with it.

Yeah, 2 watts is probably enough, but we can't know for sure! :)

If the speaker is an e1, 2, or 3, it is about 98 dB @ 1 watt.

I desperately would love to find an E3 for our 1957 atomic ranch.

Dave, you had a discussion on AK about the actual speaker which the gentleman (the person whom you PM'd me about) purchased, and expressed some concerns about the cabinet not being original, etc.  I can send you the link if you can't locate it.

Maynard 

Okay, Tom's Stephens in Maine. His is either a knockoff or a factory one off type build, but it has all the correct drivers, track rack, and crossover, but not the identical Eames blueprint design. That should be about 102 dB.

I have talked to Charles Eames son in the intervening years, and he noted his dad was adamant about the factory being a stickler on his EXACT design. That meant the exact materials, dimensions, colors, bare aluminum, finish, and build process. His dad had five to ten differing builds in the ramp up to full production, and some of these prototypes would be offered to managers and key figures in the process at teardown time. Without provenance, it is hard to say whether this one is one of these, or a great sympathetic rendering of an Eames classic.