subs behind you?

Paducah Home Theater

I actually had more localization / rear staging with my sealed ultimax's, even down low I heard more driver concussion than sub-bass and it didn't really shake much, just did a whole bunch of flopping around.  Being that close, I prefer the sound of a ported box.  Tempted to see if my sealed Ultimax 18's could be put up front to help with music and my ported 15's back to the rear right behind the seats to help with the shakes. 

im not starting a debate at all anymore but i still think was a setup issue with the inuke. i bet if you tried the 15's up front and then stuck the sealed 18's behind you set the delay just right and crossed them really low and phase reversed they would give you tons of tactile feel. i wish i could do two 18's behind my couch. ahhh one day! 

I actually had more localization / rear staging with my sealed ultimax's, even down low I heard more driver concussion than sub-bass and it didn't really shake much, just did a whole bunch of flopping around.  Being that close, I prefer the sound of a ported box.  Tempted to see if my sealed Ultimax 18's could be put up front to help with music and my ported 15's back to the rear right behind the seats to help with the shakes.

im not starting a debate at all anymore but i still think was a setup issue with the inuke. i bet if you tried the 15's up front and then stuck the sealed 18's behind you set the delay just right and crossed them really low and phase reversed they would give you tons of tactile feel. i wish i could do two 18's behind my couch. ahhh one day!

I've got the 18's up front and center right now, sounds real nice, blends in with the rest real good, and it's surprisingly tight. Light sabers on Star Wars takes on a whole new sound, otherwise stuff like doors getting punched in on Kung Fu Panda is MUCH more punchy than the Klipsch 15's. I can take those same 18's and put them behind the seat and it's less than impressive on most anything, even though they're flexing well. Still not real sure what kind of iNuke setup magic would fix that. I've already got the Klipsch's behind the seats again, these UltiMax's sound much better up front. Going to see if I can implement the 15's for a little booty shaking action down low, otherwise these 18's do most everything I need, they just need a little help in the lower 20 hz range. I know these 15's sound good on real low LFE's behind the seat, just not sure how well they will play with the sealed ultimax's. I need to order some splitters then I guess I will find out.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Still not real sure what kind of iNuke setup magic would fix that.
 well for instance if you have never went into the settings the phase it at 0. and in the back of the room that is a big no no. klipsch sub is easy to flip switch to 180 but without hooking up computer to inuke phase is much harder to change. i don't know that i would call any setting "magic" but for sure they can make a difference. 

Turning off audessey dynamic eq, moving 18's up front and center while turning my tall skinny boxes sideways so the subs are close to the floor, raising the center, moving my seats back a little more, and centering up the room down to the inch, all made my stuff sound significantly better yesterday in terms of having a seamless sound stage with more punch and less shrrilly ear piercing sounds as well as better speech on lower male voices. Apparently I am NOT a fan of dynamic eq, at least with Reference ii's. I lost some lower 20 hz action but thats probably fixable with the inuke dsp plus i still have these 15's I can implement.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Some stuff was ok but male voices sometimes sounded like it was coming through a tuba, the three fronts didnt mesh real good, rear speakers were often localized even on ambience, and cymbals were painful. Glass breaking at low volume was nice, thats about all I enjoyed when switching back and forth for comparison. I used this setting on my thx's and it was fine but with reference its just too much even at -25 db.