pissing off NO neighbors!

Scrappydue

My system is dying to be cranked. I DO have a wife and a couple of kids, so my system doesn't get the exercise she needs too much. :(

All 4 of my children love it when I turn the Klipsch up.  The girls dance and sing and my son thoroughly enjoys his RF-7 / RC-64ii in his bedroom for gaming and dubstep.  My wife does not enjoy loud music so I just send her out shopping or to get a pedicure when I want to crank them up. 

Ha ha ha...... unfortunately, my five year-old daughter will be loving my system QUITE soon. My Son is conservative like his Mother. My daughter....... more like her Dad in his/my younger days. Having said that, my Son does have very much my taste in music though. He is a little rock/metal-head. Who knows........

Bryant

Enjoy this thread simply because years ago we were a pain to our neighbors never knowing just how far the system could be heard beyond our walls. Once we knew this our cellar became a huge project once done moved all the equipment down there. From then on all bets were off what a feeling of freedom it has been. Now one of my most used tools is an SPL meter.

Decades ago, when I still lived with my parents at their old house on 5 acre lots, heard a smack real clearly through the neighbors open window and their infant started whailing.

Spent the rest of that summer on the porch facing their house with my speakers and two friends yelling "Beat that baby!" and playing Pat Benitars "Hell is for Children" They put up a spite fence along the edge of their property and moved out shortly later!

Roger

Years ago I pissed of my neighbor.....well kinda....

So it went down like this....one Saturday night I got freakie with the system....I hooked up my LaScala's to one of my Adcom 555II, one set of Chorus to my Carver TFM55x , my ChorusII's to my Carver cubes bridged (that's 500 watts each) and to top it off... I powerd up all four of my subs....two 15" and two 12"......yea I know this is dumb crap....but "watt" the hell...

I was playing some hard hittin bass stuff.....man it was crazy.....on the really heavy bass the lights in the house were dimming.

Well it was around 12:30 pm and between tracks I heard the pounding on the front door......oh no is it the cops?

I quickly hit the pause on the CD player. Opening the front door my neighbor was standing in her robe, she said "hi" and asked me would you please turn the music down I'm trying to sleep. She was a older lady really nice. I told her I am really sorry and will turn off the music.

Now her house is about 30+ feet away from my house and we live on a main road with a good bit of traffic. I have walked around my house with the music pumping just to check it out. When I walked away from the house I really didn't hear it.

Well anyway I went to her house the next day to apologize for the loud music. I told her I didn't know she could her it over her house. She told me she can always hear my music but it does not bother her. Now she said she does not go to bed early. But last night she was in bed by 12:00 and when she was laying there she could feel the "bump bump" of the music.

Again I told her how sorry I was. We agreed I would shut my system down no later than 12:00 on the weekends.

So that's my pissing off the neighbor story..... :-)

Bass can travel through free air relatively quietly then get louder in other nearby structures.  It's weird.  Found this out the hard way back in the car audio days.  I had the same thoughts back then.