Help understanding "High level inputs"

rnt

I have just bought a ksw-12 and need to hook it up

My current reciever does NOT have a dedicated sub output line, so I am looking at connecting it via the high-level inputs. My question is if I connect the sub via the high level inputs, would my reciever need to be able to power the sub? (as in allocate ~300W of power for it), or will the sub still use it's internal amplifier for power, and just use the inputs for a signal (despite them being high-level inputs).

post-59567-0-28640000-1417888535_thumb.j

Edited by rnt

What receiver have you currently got?

would my reciever need to be able to power the sub? (as in allocate ~300W of power for it)
No.

or will the sub still use it's internal amplifier for power, and just use the inputs for a signal (despite them being high-level inputs).
Yes. 

All good answers, directly upstream.  The signal chain should look like this:

Receiver ---> L/R speaker wire output to --->  L/R input to sub  --->  Sub L/R speaker wire output to L/R speakers, for a 2.1 setup.

+++

Do you know how you want to set your gain, and lowpass filter on the sub?

Edited by wvu80

Has anybody ever had the issue of the subwoofer's high-level pass-thru degrading the signal to the speakers?

You need to check the specs on the sub amp.  Some are a pass through and some have a filter.  If in doubt, just run your sub amp and your speakers parallel and avoid the speaker out terminal on the sub amp.  There's no degradation that way.

My question is if I connect the sub via the high level inputs, would my reciever need to be able to power the sub? (as in allocate ~300W of power for it), or will the sub still use it's internal amplifier for power, and just use the inputs for a signal (despite them being high-level inputs).

The setups for car audio that I'm familiar with basically takes the high level inputs and converts them into low level inputs, and at that point you've got the same signal as if you fed it with an RCA cable.  It then goes into an amp.