Oppo BDP-93 to Pioneer Elite SC-63 via HDMI issue

tnr

I have read and re-read both manuals, tried many menu variations and both BD and DVD HDMI inputs on the AVR and can't seem to get a native digital signal from the Oppo to the Pioneer AVR,  I have not tried a different HDMI cable yet.

I am using OTA TV broadcast and pulling Dolby digital via optical out of the TV into the AVR,,,no problem.  The TV is an 8 year old Samsung DLP without ARC.  I have the TV hooked up to the AVR's HDMI out.

I tried AUTO on the HDMI audio out on the OPPO, but changed that to BITSTREAM per the Oppo manual.

The Pioneer is new to me, but the manual says the display will show the signal it is getting, which appears to be PCM.  Also, only the L  R  speaker indicators light on the display, but when pulling the OTA TV signal in Dolby Digital, all 5 show as you would expect.

I tried the AUTO/ALC/Direct button on the remote which should detect the optimal signal (in this case DVD Dolby Digital), and it selects STEREO.

If anyone has these two components and any ideas, I would be grateful.  I know it could be hard to diagnose in writing, so if you have the time tonight or tomorrow, I could call you.  Please PM me when you have time and I can call you.

I may have to throw in the towel tonight and play some tunes.