RS-35 Repair

fuzzydog

I picked up a pair of RS-35 surrounds on the local craigslist which have the typical (so I understand) pealing/shrinking of the vinyl cover on the tops and bottoms.  The speakers are otherwise in excellent condition...fully operational, no damage to the drivers, grills are perfect, and no dents/dings in the MDF. 

I was able to easily peal off the vinyl covers in one big sheet.  It was ridiculously easy to get them off...seriously, who spec'd this crap.  The exposed MDF surface is smooth.   

Should I just apply some black latex gloss paint with a roller and call it a day, or is there a better way to put a finish back on them? 

I would love to give them a cherry veneer to match my RF-7II's and RC-64II, but I imagine that the rounded edge would cause problems. 

Thanks for your help and suggestions.  Pics below...

post-56797-0-10040000-1420036852_thumb.j

post-56797-0-78400000-1420036883_thumb.j

Duratex will appear slightly shiny and rough if you don't mind that combo.  I've had good luck with applying Duratex with the supplied roller , then going over it with a short napped roller while it's still good and wet.  It knocks the roughness down and keeps the protection of the material.  For surrounds like those however I'd just use black semi-gloss and a rough nap roller.  Duratex is a good "rough use" finish but overkill for surrounds IMHO.

I would love to give them a cherry veneer to match my RF-7II's and RC-64II, but I imagine that the rounded edge would cause problems.

I don't know about problems but just more difficult.

You could plane or sand the edges flat and them apply wood veneer.

Or just give the exposed mdf a "matching" cherry stain and then clear polycoat.

Bill

you can do the mdf over,and also use the Duratex and water it down very slightly to remove the rough look to them. I redid a pair of S-3's with the information given to me from here and they came out very nice. Redoing the MDF is time consuming,but if you have it,it should be fine and from what I read will only help the acoustics. I also read on here of 1 or 2 other people doing the same with removing the mdf and redoing the whole cabinet.Just make sure you sand the mdf if you just stain or plan on doing the Duratex,as there is still glue residue on them.

I actually liked how well mine came out with the surrounds that I was thinking of doing all my speakers with the Duratex.