Superdave's HT Build

Superdave

What's the speaker next to the RF82ll?

That's a Realta Venturi by BIC, olden' days, 54" tall, 100lbs. My wife really wants to see those go bye-bye! Lol. I've had them for 20 years now.

how many surrounds are you doing?

4 surrounds(Side and rear) all rb-81ii.

In the picture, the two speakers on top are rb-61ii's. I will probably use them as front height speakers. 

I'm wanting some of the HST18's now.

http://stereointegrity.com/product/hst18-18-subwoofer/#tab-specifications

No dual 4 ohms but I'm guessing you'd need every bit of what you can squeeze out of an iNuke 6000 to power one. I can't find a good calculator for box size, and they don't say what they recommend. Time to whip out the old loudspeaker design cookbook?

Chugga chugga...

Interestingly, apparently these things have the exact same box size recommendations as the UltiMax. 4 cubic feet for sealed, 8 for ported. Only difference is they recommend tuning to 24 hz, Ultimax is 20.

check diy sound group out Dave. They sell the boxes I use. 4 cu ft. And you can order without the stereo integrity cutout. I paid about the same. Maybe a tad more with shipping.

Hey Scrappydue,

Seeing that you have this exact 18" subwoofer in sealed enclosures, if I read correctly at 4 cuft per subwoofer, would you build it any larger? Keeping it a sealed box design. The reason I'm asking is that I have my Trim Guy that is going to build the enclosures and I want to optimized the build and keep it in a sealed box. Thanks.

Hey Scrappydue,

Seeing that you have this exact 18" subwoofer in sealed enclosures, if I read correctly at 4 cuft per subwoofer, would you build it any larger? Keeping it a sealed box design. The reason I'm asking is that I have my Trim Guy that is going to build the enclosures and I want to optimized the build and keep it in a sealed box. Thanks.

It's not really worth it, just as an example going from 4 foot to 5 foot with UltiMax's only changes the resonant frequency like 1 hz. 

If you CAN go significantly bigger, go with ported, that WILL make a difference.  Read this:

http://www.svsound.com/t/sealed-vs-ported

"The result is 2-4X more peak dynamic output in the 18-36 Hz octave as compared to a sealed subwoofer in the same family/price range."

The reason to go with sealed is once you get below the tuning frequency on a ported box, the port cancels out the driver, and sealed doesn't do that, although it's not nearly as loud around and a little above the tuning frequency of a ported box.  Once you get a big amp and multiple drivers you can muscle through where it falls off, but a ported box will spank a sealed box down low, everything else being equal.  I think I'm about to start over and go ported with two 18's. 

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I'm gonna go sealed otherwise the boxes would be the size of washing machines. Put a crap load of power and some dsp/eq. My next thought involves doing 2 more in the rear. Would it be better to have the amp located near the rear subs or run speaker wires from the front of the room over. If I do 2 in the rear I will more than likely use 2 amps, one for the front subs and one for the rear subs. Thoughts...

Your amp needs to be next to whereever everything else is like your receiver, otherwise you will have to walk around the room turning stuff on plus it can run through your power conditioner and whatnot in the future when you get one.  Only downside is that theoretically you need fatter wire to run to the other side of the room with high powered subs.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

One inuke 6000 will run 4 si subs. I know I own it all. I used to have sub amp by subs and liked it for a bit cause I didn't wanna buy a bunch of 10 guage speaker wire to run all over my basement. Problem was I got a hum from every 35+ foot

Rca cable tried. Located amp next to avr and used all kinds of cheap cables and no hum. Plus easy to swing open the door and turn everything on in one swoop.

She said I need a 12 step program for speakers! I said only if I can get it in 12.4!!

My grandmother came over the other day, she was like you must be speaker poor... what the... there's mess flying around the room, sounds coming out from everywhere... what's going on???  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update: Deadlines have come and gone. Been off the grid lately. So close to having the basement HT finished. Carpet was installed this week and granite guy came today to measure. Will install the audio once all contractors are out. All 4 speaker enclosures have been built for the 18's. Here's a pic of the room.

post-60616-0-92680000-1425690784_thumb.j