Pair RF-82 fronts with RF-3ii for surrounds?

pdhoff

Hey Klipsch fans. I recently upgraded to a 5.1 Klipsch system (RF82s, RC52, RB61s). I have an opportunity to get a set of RF-3iis at a great price. Any concerns with picking up the RF3iis and using them as my surrounds....moving the RB61s to my back channels for 7.2?

• Like 1

That shouldn't be a problem, the RF-3 II's do tend to perform better when more power is being fed to them (i.e. the louder the better) - but they should handle surround duty with ease.  I'd definitely recommend them over most other surround options.

• Like 1

Tower are best as surround back speakers and maybe the RB 61's as surrounds.  The strong bass from the towers as SB's makes it more dynamic.  Others will chime in a give you a better I deal on mixing in the RF 3II's.  A sub would be a top priority if you don't have one IMHO.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Tower are best as surround back speakers and maybe the RB 61's as surrounds.  The strong bass from the towers as SB's makes it more dynamic.  Others will chime in a give you a better I deal on mixing in the RF 3II's.  A sub would be a top priority if you don't have one IMHO.

Another good reason to take this idea mentioned here ^ - the RB-61's are front ported, where the RF-3 II's are rear ported.  Assigning them duty as rear surrounds - depending on room size, allows a better chance at optimal distance between the speaker and wall for a good bass response.  However, also agreed that if you do not have a subwoofer, that should be the crux of your concern at this point, as it's just 7.0 if there's no sub to make it 7.1.  5.1 will sound better than 7.0.

• Like 1

It depends on your furniture placement. If you sit on a couch or chair with high backs above ear level, it's a waste cause the tweeters will be lower than ear level. I did have rf3s as rears and surrounds. Your better off using rb speakers on stands with the tweets at least at ear level without obstruction, for surround back speakers. It's all about a clear path from tweets to listening position.

• Like 1