Yamaha RX-A2040 Anybody have one?

sean5340

JimT might be by...I think he has experience with the step under that and 1 year backwards.

I've heard the A1030 myself before, and I was satisfied with what I heard by the standards I hold Yamaha to.  I can't say the same for any of their RX-V line anymore though.  The A2040 should be a monster of a receiver with plenty of clean power, and just about every feature you could ask for though.

• Like 1

I'm buying a new receiver and have pretty much settled on the Yamaha a2040. Does anyone have experience with this receiver? Suggestions are welcome.

It will replace an Onkyo NR717 with a bad HDMI board.

Don't talk like that!  I have a 717 that I love, it runs flawlessly, and has had no HDMI board problems...

...Yet. 

But I know what's coming.  :(

+++

What are you doing with the old 717?  I presume you know the warranty has been extended by Onkyo for that problem

• Like 1

wvu80, did you get the computer issue resolved?

Yes, I did.

I took off all my other anti-virus programs, and ran Avast about 4 times.  I think Avast finally cured my problem because it found threats on each run and eliminated them, but I'm not sure. 

After the virus was gone, I told my wife I had "fixed" the problem with not being able to access Google, and she replied "it's been off all week on my iPhone, but it's working now."

So I don't know.  Thanks to all those "cleaner" programs I used, the computer now runs great and super-fast!  :D

wvu80, did you get the computer issue resolved?

Yes, I did.

I took off all my other anti-virus programs, and ran Avast about 4 times.  I think Avast finally cured my problem because it found threats on each run and eliminated them, but I'm not sure. 

After the virus was gone, I told my wife I had "fixed" the problem with not being able to access Google, and she replied "it's been off all week on my iPhone, but it's working now."

So I don't know.  Thanks to all those "cleaner" programs I used, the computer now runs great and super-fast!  :D

Avast will work on her phone also.

Did you use only the free version,or the fully paid version? The fully paid does grime and several other options that I wound up using it for. The start up menu scan was also very good and found several other issues.

Edited by Jim

Did you use only the free version,or the fully paid version?

Free version.  I always used AVG before, but Avast is every bit as good.

+++

Sean, that Yam 2040 is a big jump up from the Onk 717.  What features were you looking for in your upgrade?  Does Atmos interest you at all?

I can't give you any input on the 2040 specifically, but I have been shopping for a replacement AVR myself and I can give you a general consensus of the Aventage lineup, because I have been considering the 1040 myself and have been reading a lot of reviews etc. of the 1040 as well as similarly priced Denon and Marantz units.

Negatives..... 

Most often people seem to be describing the sound of the Aventage series as between neutral and clinical but detailed. No one describes it as "warm." 

Yamaha uses their own proprietary room calibration system called YPAO. More people seem to prefer Audyssee.

The output in wattage decreases significantly when driving five or seven channels. Yamaha rates their AVR outputs with two channels driven. This is an example tested on a 1020 unit.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-rx-a1020-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures

Positives.......

People that even don't care for the overall sound of the Yamahas do usually comment that it is "detailed" and.

Yamaha AVRs in general are the most highly regarded in terms of reliability and running cooler other comparable brands.

Awesome connectivity. Can't imagine filling up all of the inputs.

Despite people (we all know how funny audio fans are) that simply don't care for the "Yamaha sound" one of the biggest things

that has me leaning toward the 1040 is that owner reviews of the whole Aventage line are generally excellent.

Bryant