J-River "skipping"

Jim

No problem this is the first check to make it tells a huge part of your pc based music, (FYI most of my skipping issues were solved by shutting off wi-fi, but it could be a whole host of background software causing the problem

run the program and watch for red spikes then get back and we will try and run it down

what I'm seeing as of last night, is that it kept "buffering" when trying to play music while ripping cd's. Also, it ripped them so slow,I had to stop ripping them. Prior to changing JRiver, it ripped a little quicker, but was still extremely slow at it. Once I stopped ripping cd's it played OK.

I tested the computer while playing Spotify, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

I also found the jriver rip service very slow thats is because it is using auto correct to check the files as you rip them, so it take infinitely longer and it does cause quirky playback

This is why I went to using EAC (Exact Audio Copy) to rip my CD's, I was able to rip discs while listening with no issues / skipping, and also I could rip 2 or 3 discs in the time it took river to rip 1

I can get you the download link and a set of instructions for using EAC if you like, Its a tad hard to get started if you have never used it but with a little guidance its easy and rather nice to use

• Like 1

Link to EAC (This is a free program)

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/download/

This is the link i used and it had no ad ware, or mal ware

scroll down the page and look for the PC-Welt with the picture of the american/brit flags this is the download tab to use

follow the install wizard instructions to install on your pc.

when you get this loaded come back and let me know and I will put in a disk and post a step by step for ripping a disc

Is that your everyday use computer? If so,try to use one that's not used for everything if possible. The one I am using was cleared of programs specifically to use as a server. The things I have kept are Office and other Microsoft programs I paid for. Otherwise I have scaled everything down. I'm sure others haven't and don't need to, but I figured because the computer is old, I might as well make it as easy as possible.

• Like 1

I probably shouldn't have butted in here with my issue so I bow out for Jim to get his figured out. I need to build a new PC but don't know how to 'save' logins, password, links, mail,etc, etc.

Out.

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 3/29/2012 6:15:10 PM
  No details available Processor a   Main Circuit Board b 3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium D
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded
  Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5LD2 Rev 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1702 01/09/2007
119.93 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
29.50 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SONY CD-RW CRX230EE ATA Device [Optical drive]
SONY DVD RW AW-Q170A ATA Device [Optical drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Corsair Force GT [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 120982000000068902B3, rev 1.3.3, SMART Status: Healthy   3200 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB
Slot 'DIMM1' has 1024 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' has 1024 MB
Slot 'DIMM3' has 1024 MB   Local Drive Volumes new – volume encryption             c: (NTFS on drive 0) 119.93 GB 29.50 GB free  

Edited by USNRET

It's fine to look for the help, I'm almost complete on my end except for a few fine tuning things. No problem here for you to look for help, piggyback if it works.

What OS system are you using?

Thanks, see post above.

I probably shouldn't have butted in here with my issue so I bow out for Jim to get his figured out. I need to build a new PC but don't know how to 'save' logins, password, links, mail,etc, etc.

Out.

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

Install Language: English (United States)

System Locale: English (United States)

Installed: 3/29/2012 6:15:10 PM   No details available Processor a   Main Circuit Board b 3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium D

16 kilobyte primary memory cache

2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

64-bit ready

Multi-core (2 total)

Not hyper-threaded   Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5LD2 Rev 1.xx

Bus Clock: 200 megahertz

BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 1702 01/09/2007 119.93 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

29.50 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SONY CD-RW CRX230EE ATA Device [Optical drive]

SONY DVD RW AW-Q170A ATA Device [Optical drive]

3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Corsair Force GT [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 120982000000068902B3, rev 1.3.3, SMART Status: Healthy   3200 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 1024 MB

Slot 'DIMM1' has 1024 MB

Slot 'DIMM2' has 1024 MB

Slot 'DIMM3' has 1024 MB   Local Drive Volumes new – volume encryption             c: (NTFS on drive 0) 119.93 GB 29.50 GB free  

Hello shipmate!!! I'm assuming your user name is US Navy Retired ;)!!! What do you need? I worked for the Secgru (when it used to be called that - its called Information Dominance now).  I'll try to assist you as much as I can :) 

Well, I was concerned about keeping some programs, mostly utilities, I have installed on this single drive PC (the other two drives failed over the years). This PC is a bit long in the tooth as I built it about 10 +/- years ago. As I look at the stuff I guess I can just reformat and re-install the things I need such as Office, Acrobat, Etc.

With that decision made, I am shopping for a new MB and CPU/RAM. My power supply is new and about 650-700 watts IIRC.

No need for fancy hi-dollar video as I do not game.

I rarely use it to listen to music. I have a surplus Mac Mini I intend to use with an external USB drive that has almost 1TB of music in aiff. That drive needs some serious folder housekeeping.

I would like to find MB with serial port to use my Audyssey Pro kit without serial to USB adapter.

So home office use, surf...... but I almost cannot help myself from over spending on processor and board. Need to find a deal.

Well, I was concerned about keeping some programs, mostly utilities, I have installed on this single drive PC (the other two drives failed over the years). This PC is a bit long in the tooth as I built it about 10 +/- years ago. As I look at the stuff I guess I can just reformat and re-install the things I need such as Office, Acrobat, Etc.

With that decision made, I am shopping for a new MB and CPU/RAM. My power supply is new and about 650-700 watts IIRC.

No need for fancy hi-dollar video as I do not game.

I rarely use it to listen to music. I have a surplus Mac Mini I intend to use with an external USB drive that has almost 1TB of music in aiff. That drive needs some serious folder housekeeping.

I would like to find MB with serial port to use my Audyssey Pro kit without serial to USB adapter.

So home office use, surf...... but I almost cannot help myself from over spending on processor and board. Need to find a deal.

I can't find a modern motherboard with a serial port.  You would need to add a card like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166032&cm_re=serial_port_card-_-15-166-032-_-Product

to run a serial port . 

Just add this MB: 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132052

This cpu: 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116950

and the appropriate ddr3 memory and you are good to go  :)