CF-4 Version 1 on Ebay $899 -SOLD

wvu80

If you check with people who actually have had Khorns for a long time, there are some options to Khorns you may not be aware of

1 You don't have to have perfect corners contrary to popular belief. In fact, if you were to attach 3/4 inch plywood to the backs of the bass bins, you don't have to put them in corners at all

2 If you have the time, you can make Khorns image amazingly well. Try toeing them out

3 If you image them right, you have a huge sweet spot ( if a huge sweet spot is possible)

You should try and A/B Cornwalls, LaScalas, and Chorus 2s with the CF-4s. I think you'd be surprised by what you hear. And you can find a nice pair of LaScalas for 1k. Eth has a beautiful pair of raw birch for 1k and another pair for less than that. They are out there, you just have to be patient.

If I'm buying a speaker based on rarity, I would buy a pair of Chorus 2s in Walnut, they might be harder to find than the CF-4 version 1 in cherry ( which I have) and as you tend to agree, the Chorus 2 beats the CF-4. Search for Chorus 2s in Walnut, they make the 4s seem readily available 

But to each his own

Mark

Edited by ZEUS121996
  • Like 1

i agree on the options available to the k-horn, but to be fair, that requires lots of work or $$$ to get there. 

1. yes you can but most rarely do seal the backs. & dont forget the "WAF" of k-horns is about the worst there is. pulling them out & away from corners really shows their size & bulkiness.   

2. toeing them out creates bass problems not being perfectly sealed to the wall, unless you sealed the backs...

3. & didnt PWK himself call for a center channel for k-horns?  to fill the dead spot that happens unless you are at the perfect apex point, anything else & the sweet spot is way in front of or behind you.

dont get me wrong, i love my k-horns & have been listening to others for 25+ years.  have listened to all the other models you listed & just cant agree on the lascallas. they are nice but the bass is lacking to say the least, id put the cf-4 against the lascala for rock. jazz & any bass heavy music & they sound almost as good if not better in some ways for mid & highs.  again the mid horn of the lascala can be rather overpowering & make the lack of bass even more obvious.  

personally i like many of the klipsch models & have a hard time picking an absolute favorite since there are so many variables & factors that each speaker has, then all the other aspects of the gear & room & music taste that determine a persons "favorite" or what they feel makes one speaker/amp/cd player/turntable etc better than another.  for my tatste & "mid-fi" s/s gear, i feel the cf-4 is hard to beat & will best a lascalla anyday in all around performace & at a cheaper price. 

yes to each their own, thats the good thing about open forums, you can usually exchange opinions & ideas in a constructive way. happy listening.

Edited by klipschfancf4

to each their own i guess.  i have heard KLF30 & thought my cf-4 2 were better, but thats just my opinion, we all have them.  too many variables to say one is "better" than the other.  & neither of us can predict what 9 out of 10 other people would choose, but the minute i heard the klf's boxes rattle & hum i would choose the epics before even hearing them! 

i have read on here many members think the cf-4 is 2nd to only the k-horn.  i agree the k-horn is the better speaker, but dollar for dollar the cf-4 is a close 2nd in many ways-  you can use them in rooms without perfect corners, they have better imaging & the listening sweet spot isnt as critical, not to mention time alignment & a harsh mid of the k-horn that has been discussed countless times.   

i also agree the chorus may be a better or easily equal speaker to the epics, never doubted that,  my comment was $900 for true series 1 cf-4 is a good value... much more rare than chorus too. & vs $2000+ for k horns & their limitations mentioned above,  the cf-4 would do just fine in my book.  opinions from most people are worth exactly .02 so yours is just as or no more correct than mine.  

i'm sure the new owner will love their new epics for many years to come.

When you listed to the KLF30, did you A/B them to the CF4 in the same room, through the same amp, preamp and stagger the speakers (KLF CF4 on one side and KLF CF4 on the other so neither has an advantage of better separation) and put them through the paces of different music?  

Wow. I have a bridge in Brooklyn which I would like to offer for $899. :ph34r:

do you not like the cf-4's or feel they arent worth $899?  they sold for $2500/pair new. have you heard the series 1 epics? 

just curious why you say that?

Because I don't think they stand up well to LaScalas or Cornwalls, either of which you can get for $900

ok, if youve heard them & compared you are of course entitled to youre opinion.  far from a bridge in brooklyn though....

lascalas for $900?  battered & abused maybe....  common prices i see are more like $1100-$1500+ in good condition.  aside from the rare fluke deals that pop up for all kinds of things because the seller is desperate or unaware of the market value.  

You need to get out more! I offered an excellent set of raw birch LaScalas for $1,000 and a set of "refinished" LaScalas with new tweeters and new Crites crossovers for $900. And I am not "desperate," nor I am "unaware."

Edited by eth2

You need to get out more! I offered an excellent set of raw birch LaScalas for $1,000 and a set of "refinished" LaScalas with new tweeters and new Crites crossovers for $900. And I am not "desperate," nor I am "unaware."

i need to get out more???  sorry my comment was not directed at you personally at all..

but just because "you" offered some lascalas on a klipsch forum at that price does NOT mean thats the average price they sell for.  i see them all the time for way over $1000 usually closer to $1500... or more.  there is currently a pair in my area on craigslist for $1650 & on ebay all the time for $1500+

it was just a general comment about the average market value i see in my area over the last 5-10 years, maybe its different where you live...  but very rarely do "i" see them for $900 dollars, & if so chances are the seller is desperate for cash or unaware of their market value... or they are in crappy shape.

my apologies eth2.

"When you listed to the KLF30, did you A/B them to the CF4 in the same room, through the same amp, preamp and stagger the speakers (KLF CF4 on one side and KLF CF4 on the other so neither has an advantage of better separation) and put them through the paces of different music?" 

no i did not a/b them, as i didnt own the klf30,  which is also my point, many peoples opinions are skewed or biased because of that fact, how many people who say one is better than the other actually do that?  very few.  i did however a/b them at my local klipsch dealer back in the mid 90's when the klf series first came out & they had cf-3's as demos,  as many others have said, the klf just sounded overy bright & in your face, kind of why klipsch changed & discontinued the epic line, the average joe customer didnt "like" the epics different sound.  funny, mr delgado(sp) felt they were the cream of the crop & his crowniing achievement at the time.   argue with him about the epics.... :rolleyes:

my comments may be biased too but are based on more than just one sided opinions as i have listened to almost every klipsch speaker in the heritage line & extended line plus many of the RF's & KG's & other brands.  while im far from an expert like some here that have thousands of dollars in their k-horn mods or own jubilees etc,  i feel i have a good idea of what the models have to offer & again... just stating my opinion on the value of series 1 cf-4. 

& technically the seller only got $800 after ebay & paypal fees, so at that price they are a very good deal.  hopefully we can end our debate in the alerts section on cf-4s now, or at least post up a new thread for opinions on their value.  

Edited by klipschfancf4