Suggestions for phono preamp

richieb

Now that my Heritage system has moved downstairs with plenty of room I am bringing out my long stored

analogue system. I will need a phono preamp with moving coil capabilities for a Denon 103D coil cartridge. This will in turn run into a single input tube integrated. At this point I really don't want to get in too deep but test the waters for sound, enjoyment so please no multi thousand $$$ units at this point. But knowing me this could easily be a long and expensive slippery slope. With the tube amp and really only needing to boost the MC signal would a SS unit suffice or stay with tubes the entire front end? Or do I only need a step up phono amp because I will be using the volume control from the integrated.

I am looking forward to this although my CD players have a very smooth, analogue in sound.

Guest David H

I had a Music Fidelity VLPS, thought it was quite good for a budget option.

I preferred it to the Classic NAD PP-2, Project Phono Box and the Bellari VP-29.

I ended up with a PS-Audio GCPH.

Dave

Edited by GotHover

• Moderators

His web page on his phone preamp, which I obviously forgot to post says he can offer step ups.

http://www.transcendentsound.com/Transcendent/Transcendent_Sound_Phono_Preamp.html

From his webpage:

Total Performance:

These design features produce a noise figure of at least 75 dbA. This is outstanding for a tube phono preamp and exceeds conventional designs by at least 10 dbA if not 15. Gain is a whopping 52 dB. Consequently, the preamp can be driven by all but very low output moving coil cartridges. Step-up transformers can be added for these types of cartridges. Contact us for details as moving coil cartridges require special consideration when mated to a transformer. Connecting the Phono Preamp to the Grounded Grid Preamp creates a combined gain of 64 dB of very low noise amplification. By the way, the thing sounds pretty darn good.

Easy Assembly:

The circuitry is contained on two circuit boards, one for the power supply and one for the preamp. Very little point-to-point wiring is required. Assembly time should be less than 6 hours.

Power Requirements

Specifications:

Signal to Noise Ratio: Greater than 75 dBA.

Gain: 52 dB.

Max Signal Out: 20 volts RMS.

Output Impedance: 1000 ohms.

Input Impedance: 47 k Ohms.

Tube Compliment: 4-6C45Pi, 2-12AX7A

Dimensions Overall: 15'W by 11'D by 4 1/4'H.

115V or 230V, 50-60Hz, 30 watts.

Weight: 10 pounds.

For LOMC On another table I'm using this-------> http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/f-117

A small but very capable performer. Features dual mono adjustable loading (impedance only) and variable gain. Obviously extremely quiet operation.

Used for MM, the Samuels is really good too; to my ears possessing a slightly tighter or more highly damped sound compared the the Transcendent Sound phono stage (which just a blast -- very lively, excellent retrieval of detail, punchy bass).