Wires! Wires! Wires!

I found this video while browsing Emotiva's Lounge and it got me thinking how I could pick out differences between 18 to 16 to 12 Gauge, but not between solid and stranded.

I understand this is a sensitive topic, but I figure I'd at least share this with you all.

• Like 1

Why would this be a sensitive issue here?  We all know high-end cables are BS.

I've been in one of those boutique shops that sell $10k interconnects.  These sales people/con artists are simply taking advantage of people.  At least a used car salesman is selling you something of value for $10k.  Good luck reselling your $20k interconnect cables and getting any money out of them.

Oh and don't forget about elevating your speaker cables.  We all know how that affects the sound too.

• Like 2

I agree entirely with the fellow. 

Note that he alludes to the subject that I write about.  My last writing was regarding amplifiers.

There is a long string of wires and amps and equipment between the microphone and your living room.  

I suppose it is legitimate to say, the amp and the wire in my living room is degrading the signal.  But if they are the same as in the "long string" how can your equipment be a problem?  And like I used to say more often, "You can't make things better by solving a problem which does not exist."

Now I will say that no power amps are used in the "long string" except for record cutting heads.  Further, our high sensitivity Klipsch speakers are reproducing some sound 40 dB at a microwatt of power out of the amp.  Therefore it not a matter that the first watt counts, more like the first milliwatt or 70 dB level counts. 

WMcD

• Like 1

Therefore it not a matter that the first watt counts, more like the first milliwatt or 70 dB level counts. 

WMcD

This is a point which I make constantly.  Many refuse to believe me when I tell them that an amp I just demonstrated clips at only 300 milliwatts/channel, for example.  And that amount of power is often enough to provide 10 db of headroom before clipping!!!  Especially in near-field use, most Klipsch speakers simply don't need any power to deliver levels which are often too loud to be enjoyable.  As an analogy, it's a case of not needing 500 hp if all you're going to do is drive down Main Street at 20-25 mph.     

Maynard

• Like 1