AudioQuest's high-end Ethernet cable

Schu

http://hothardware.com/news/10000-ethernet-cable-claims-earth-shattering-advancement-in-audio-fidelity-if-youre-stupid-enough-to-buy-it

16472345386_24bfc073d1_b.jpg

There are a bunch of promises made here, but the one that stands out most to me is the "Directional" aspect. This isn't just mentioned once, but is all over the place. The cable even comes complete with arrows to make certain that the data will flow in the right direction. I guess that we can just ignore the fact that Ethernet cables are bi-directional; the same on both ends. If that wasn't the case, data couldn't be written back to the network device; it could just be read from it.

Also interesting is the promise of 100 Gbps speeds over 100 meters, a spec that's currently impossible in a retail product. Not that it'd matter anyway - a 5 minute 24-bit / 44Hz track could be loaded at the source in its entirety within half a second on a standard 1 Gbps connection.

$10,000

Yep.  We run 10GB Base T in my video group on plain old Cat 6 and get speeds most people wouldn't believe.

I remain of the "if you really hear something that's cool" in the high price speaker and interconnect market, but if you can find an Ethernet cable that suddenly makes your spreadsheet accurate out to 8 more decimal places all I got to say is "B'jesus,  a miracle!"

Dave

Three things come to mind...

1) A fool and his money are soon parted.

2) There's a sucker born every minute.

3) Some people have more money than common sense.

Exactly.  

Knowing that much of the work in the data transfer that the cable would affect is done by the ethernet adapter itself, the problem imposed by a bad cable is not presented to the core processor thus would not be impacting possible timing of the music.  There is no need for cables such as this except to make money.

There is the possibility that in the noisiest of environments (electrical like inside a generator, transmitter, or something), if there were errors they would likely be handled fast enough to not affect anything.  In an environment such as that, you'd probably get cancer from the emf/emi.  Music would be my least concern.

I will say, nice connectors on the cable though.  Very pretty jewelry if you want to impress someone who doesn't know better.