Oppo 103 no multi channel output through optical toslink? Copyright related?

Max2

I figured I would try the optical output for audio and use HDMI for video today when I had some spare time. Messed with all the setting but only got 2 channel output with DVDA being played in the multi channel mode or 5.1 mode.  Finally pulled up the manual online and it said due to copyright reasons the player will only play multi channel audio through HDMI....    I was pretty shocked to find this out. Anyone have any insight on this?

It's been that way for years... And just as the manual says, it's there to keep high resolution, uncompressed, multi-channel signals (found on SACD and DVDA, along with Dolby True HD and DTS Master HD found on Blu-Ray) from being transmitted and potentially copied in the digital domain.

HDMI is allowed (digitally) because of the copy protections built in to the standard.

Also, optical (Toslink) and RCA/coax digital connections don't have the bandwidth/capacity to carry the digital, uncompressed, multi-channel signals from those sources.

If you have HDMI why not use it?

Or, you can use the analog, multi-channel outputs found on the Oppo-BD103, to send the signals as LPCM to the multi-channel inputs on your receiver or pre/pro.

Edited by GPBusa
  • Like 1

It's been that way for years... And just as the manual says, it's there to keep high resolution, uncompressed, multi-channel signals (found on SACD and DVDA, along with Dolby True HD and DTS Master HD found on Blu-Ray) from being transmitted and potentially copied in the digital domain.

HDMI is allowed (digitally) because of the copy protections built in to the standard.

Also, optical (Toslink) and RCA/coax digital connections don't have the bandwidth/capacity to carry the digital, uncompressed, multi-channel signals from those sources.

If you have HDMI why not use it?

Or, you can use the analog, multi-channel outputs found on the Oppo-BD103, to send the signals as LPCM to the multi-channel inputs on your receiver or pre/pro.

All is correct in the above reply.

Digital coax/fiber optic will dumb it down to plain vanilla 2-channel if a hybrid or dual layer SACD/DVDA and only play the CD layer.  Not sure about single layer SACD/DVDA.

Bill

That's interesting. How is that different from watching or listening to 5.1 Blu-rays using the optical out (which I do all the time). Isn't quality equal?

Playing BD's through a digital optical or digital coax will down sample to plain Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 which is lossy as opposed to Dolby TrueHD, DTSHD-MA, and uncompressed LPCM which are lossless.

Bill

That's interesting. How is that different from watching or listening to 5.1 Blu-rays using the optical out (which I do all the time). Isn't quality equal?

No, the quality isn't equal.

Most people don't know that the only mandated codecs on a Blu-Ray are the 5.1 channel, lossy/compressed, Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks... to maintain backwards compatibility with old equipment.

And the Linear PCM (uncompressed audio) which can have up to 8 channels... but can only be output through the analog multi-channel outputs.

The lossless, up to 8 channel, Dolby Digital True HD and DTS HD Master Audio soundtracks on a Blu-Ray are actually optional. But are usually on most Blu-Ray discs... But can only be played through an HDMI connection.

So if you're listening to Blu-Ray discs and getting your audio via Toslink or Coax digital, you're NOT getting the best possible sound.

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_audio_codecs

Edited by GPBusa
  • Like 1

I figured I would try the optical output for audio and use HDMI for video today when I had some spare time. Messed with all the setting but only got 2 channel output with DVDA being played in the multi channel mode or 5.1 mode. Finally pulled up the manual online and it said due to copyright reasons the player will only play multi channel audio through HDMI.... I was pretty shocked to find this out. Anyone have any insight on this?

Here's the SACD faq webpage, which also includes a lot of information and comparisons/differences to DVDA discs...

http://www.sa-cd.net/faq

Well there you have it. I was reading where a Mac Mini is benefited by running its audio out of its digital output verses using the HDMI out. I didn't have a converter plug for the Mac, but had a toslink. Thats when I put it on the Oppo. I guess I just haven't been informed about this since the S-video and toslink days of the old.  Thanks for the info guys