Peavy on Undercover Boss....then closes the plant to send work overseas!

Mighty Favog

"For the greater good of the company".

LOL.  Obviously the company doesn't include the people who do the work for it.  In business school they and the rest involved are called "stakeholders."  Some stake holders get that stake in a bad place eh?

Who goes into business, any business, for anything other than increasing their personal wealth...... You?

Closing the doors at 1 factory (with a handful of employees/stakeholders) may suck, but the greater good of the company means being able to remain in business (Business School 101), selling more product, paying taxes, and keeping the doors open at significantly more Retail Stores where they employ another type of employee/stakeholder.

Closing a dying factory and outsourcing (what else is new in America) is a far better alternative to bankruptcy, or surviving on perpetual life support. What else didn't you learn in business school?

Edited by Gilbert

Watching it gives me the impression that regardless of any decision Cortland makes, he will find a way to run that company in the ground.  Really feel for the workers though, especially the guy who got talked into staying on.

It sucked, no doubt. I felt bad for him too, but at least he was given a good amount of cash, the majority of the factory employees just got the shaft.

What else didn't you learn in business school?

Don't worry Gil, I learned all of those things just fine.  As an American I would rather see jobs stay here.  I am sure as an American you would also prefer to find a way to have a sustainable economy as opposed to a bunch of one time payoffs for a few.  If no one has a decent job anymore as the cumulative result of these decisions, who is left to buy the product?  You've been to enough third world countries to know the answer to that.

• Like 1

Lot's of people
        According to the show that was last factory in the US ......Rick

Not having a factory here won't stop people from buying the gear. Guitars that I would like to purchase are made by different companies... Two are in Ireland, one is in Oz. Those guitars aren't less expensive than ones made here, however.

Look at Behringer's products. A lot of guys on here buy their products because they are a good value, but they aren't made here. Where are Apple's products made? I think you know the answer.

A company will probably bring production back to the US once the cost for producing and manufacturing overseas becomes more expensive than here.

Bruce

What else didn't you learn in business school?

Don't worry Gil, I learned all of those things just fine.  As an American I would rather see jobs stay here.  I am sure as an American you would also prefer to find a way to have a sustainable economy as opposed to a bunch of one time payoffs for a few.  If no one has a decent job anymore as the cumulative result of these decisions, who is left to buy the product?  You've been to enough third world countries to know the answer to that.

I'm not remotely worried, not in the least. And I agree with the first 2 sentences of your reply, but strongly disagree with the third. I'm not as gloom and doom about the change. 

I believe outsourcing this type of labor, forces and ushers' in the creation of new type of labor. One that demands a change in demographics, a change requiring higher education. Obviously it's not going to happen over night, but if you can look past the ripples, you'll see the water smooths' out again.

But if as you predict, the people who lost their job(s) choose to lay down and die, which I disagree they'll do, then in your world, America is doomed.

Bruce,

I agree with you 100%.

Edited by Gilbert

Cool Gil.  It sounds like you might have some kind of plan to allow everyone to get at least two years of community college?!

It is cool, but there's no plan, nothing prearranged or worked out. There's no empty promise of hope, and certainly no hope for outside forces to save the day.

The idea is simple, and completely dependent on the majority of people being self-motivated to succeed. Those who depend on others are "each left to their own ability" which is generally based upon their individual needs. I'm sure you understand that philosophy well.

Edited by Gilbert

From what I seen on this show is most of the bosses who try to tell workers how to do their job can not even do it. Almost every boss says this phrase....we have to find better way to do this.....my experience is when I have told a boss this is I get told to shut up. So my bet is peavey is doomed because the owners are just stupid. I think Klipsch almost did this but smarter minds got control but now I'm not so sure. I hope they stick around for a long time. There were a lot of good ideas....some were mine... put into motion from the Solo cup plant I worked at but when it came time to cut the fat guess who got the axe the ones with years of know how and experience.

One time the Chicago plant sent this huge roll of paper 1800 lbs that had been crushed so they said they were going cut it down throw it away. My plant manager knew I could make it work. So we got it he asked if I could save it I said sure no problem. Big wigs from Chicago came down to see cause they did not believe me all they could do was stand there with mouths open and watch ........college guys are so easy to impress...lol. What did I get for saving that huge roll of paper...not a dam thing. But if they would have did it they would have got some thing I bet.      Rick

I wouldn't advise any young person to waste two years at a community college. A motivated learner can learn 10X more on their own in 2 years, with a little guidance from a mentor, than they will ever learn at CC. And if the person is not motivated, the CC experience will be a waste of time anyway.

Agree totally with that part anyway, just not the other stuff about jobs being dead in America. It's just a little re-arranging, nothing more, and yes it sucks to be on the bottom, but such is life. You either get over it and move forward, of flounder and die. Been that way since the beginning, the very first guy who use to turn the mill grinder, that poor basturd was put out of a job by a pair of jackasses and a harness; but I'll bet he didn't lay down and cry about it, probably didn't take him long to develop a new skill..... raising and training jackasses to turn a mill grinder.

Edited by Gilbert