Marantz SR7007 thoughts/opinions.

runninshine

I have one of these. It came as part of a package deal with the RF7 IIs etc. It is a nice unit. I have since gone to a seperate 7 channel higher power amp and just use the preamp outputs. The RF7 IIs are very power hungry. It probably does stuff that I haven't figured out yet. The FM tuner is only HD so forget about your regular stations. And I have one other pet peeve - you cannot adjust the volume of the individual channels on the fly, only by playing test tones.

I also looked at it before settling on a Denon x-4000. The unit was nice and sounded nice, but lacked the "updates" today's other brands do. There were things like the tuner and a few other minor things for me, but that was me.

A receiver upgrade is in the not too distant future as well and I tried out a few. I really found that there wasn't a "huge" difference in sound between the brands.... Onkyo, Marantz, Denon and Yamaha. Maybe others hear something more dramatic than I, BUT I am sure Best Buy doesn't run calibrations or put any equalization on them and such. All are running from "default" or what others have "played with" on the settings so it is tough to tell. It's tough to buy one because they all have so much stuff on them, it's menus and sub menus and etc. and I am a pretty high tech guy, yet it's still challenging to get a grasp of what they are capable of in a short time.

Since I have done NOTHING but make your decision MORE difficult with the above rant, I will give you this link........ 

If you have never been to this site, there is certainly some subjective stuff here, but there are some real tests done with output vs. distortion figures and video tests and such. 

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/marantz-sr7007-av-receiver-ht-labs-measures 

Bryant

Honestly - anymore...I wouldn't buy a receiver from Best Buy if it was 90% off. The Magnolia stuff, yeah...but definitely not the over the shelf junk found in most of them. At least here, the Yamaha selections are limited to the lower 3 RX-V models (bleh), a bunch of Sony AVR's, and a couple of Pioneers. Not impressed at all.

Honestly - anymore...I wouldn't buy a receiver from Best Buy if it was 90% off. The Magnolia stuff, yeah...but definitely not the over the shelf junk found in most of them. At least here, the Yamaha selections are limited to the lower 3 RX-V models (bleh), a bunch of Sony AVR's, and a couple of Pioneers. Not impressed at all.

It was a Magnolia showroom I was in doing the comparison. However, don't get me wrong..... in a pinch, if I "HAD" to hook up a low end receiver to my system as opposed to being without, I would do it in a heartbeat. My current AVR is a Yamaha RXV-863. It is not low end, but certainly not the best Yamaha offered.  I bought it cheap and refurbished, simply as a stop-gap to go HD and HDMI replacing my Denon AVR-5600 which was the flagship Denon at the time I bought it. I planned to use it until I found the "right" AVR for me. Turns out, I never found that one. There is not THAT much difference in sound (once tweaked to my standards) in the two in my ears. I liked it enough that I still own it.

My theory is that modern receivers sound more alike than different. These companies spend more money on things like licensing from Apple, Dolby, etc. etc. and pay for DAC chips, 3D compatability and what have you, as opposed to seriously investing tons of money into engineering the amplification section of the AVRs. Is the top end Aventage amp better than the lowest tier Yamaha offering ? Absolutely !! Is it absolutely apples and oranges....... well......

I own a Sony Explode "boombox." I practically never use it at home, but I do love it for what it is. I take it camping, to the beach etc. it has detachable speakers with little wires on spring clips. It is cute, but it rocks for what it is. My home theater system in stereo mode sounds 10X better than my boom box, though. However, if I hook my speaker wires up from my boombox to my Khorns it sounds pretty darned good. On the other hand, if I hook my speaker wires from my Yammy to the Explode speakers, it sounds like a boombox.

I honestly do believe you get better gear (to a certain degree) by spending more money, but I also think AVR's sound very similar top to bottom and they also become obsolete so fast, that the difference in sound/video between the mid-priced units and high-end units are not enough to persuade me to go the latter route. My opinion is simply my own, and I don't expect others to agree with it. In fact, if everyone had the same opinion, this forum would be pretty boring. 

Bryant

Edited by Bryant0086