Differences in sound between songs and speakers.

NBPK402

A friend of mine came over last night and we got into a little discussion about speakers... Here is what started it:

My friend has listened to my setup several times, and then went home, and listened to his Yamaha NS1000 Studio Monitors. He has found that when he listens to the same 2 songs on his system the songs are brighter...But both songs are equally brighter than mine. When he listens to my setup with the same 2 songs, one of the songs is much brighter than the other.

Question: Why is it that on his setup the 2 songs sound almost the same, but on mine the top end is significantly brighter on one of the songs but not the other (my setup also is not as bright as his setup sounds normally which i understand).

I was thinking that maybe because of my setup being with horns (112DB efficiency), that maybe it is due to the efficiency, and dynamics of the horns. I know that the differences in speakers, amps, and rooms will make the speakers sound different (as it should), but why don't the 2 songs sound significantly different on the top end on his setup when mine does?

Any ideas?

Edited by ellisr63

You're thinking its the speakers, but I'm thinking its the source component.  Maybe your playback device "interprets" the sound differently?

The only way to isolate the variables would be to play the same recording on the same device in both places, and then see if there is a difference at the speaker level.

• Like 2

Your speakers are bringing lower distortion and wider dynamic range, by wild margins, revealing these dynamic contrasts and giving a closer glimpse into the recordings than Yamaha NS1000 can do.  Probably less "room" influence by virtue of horns, too, where the NS are spraying high frequencies everywhere.

I mean, really, comparing a pair of Yamaha monitors to your Cinema style rig is kind of unfair.

Edited by Ski Bum
  • Like 1

Your speakers are bringing lower distortion and wider dynamic range, revealing these dynamic contrasts and giving a closer glimpse into the recordings than Yamaha NS1000 can do.  Probably less "room" influence by virtue of horns, too, where the NS are spraying high frequencies everywhere.

That is sorta what i was thinking... Dynamic range of a horn compared to a conventional speaker.

Yes, to many variables to say for sure.  Either way, it sounds like you should be happier with the sound of your system. :)

I am very happy with the sound of my setup... My friend even said he liked my setup better than his. It was just something that we were trying to see why they acted differently to the same songs.

On another song... "Hush" by Toni Childs... Every setup i have ever heard has had her voice rising to the point of distorting at her Crescendo where as on my setup it goes up to a point, and just levels off, never distorting at all.

I just re listened to the song... Streaming from my NAS. I listened to it in Direct, Stereo, and in Pure Direct all of which had the same effect on this part of the song. I also listened to it off of Youtube, and it sounded the same. I did notice significant amount of increase in bass when I was listening in stereo since the DTS-10s kick in at 80Hz.

Edited by ellisr63

You will find very often that two speakers even having the same frequency response will not sound remotely similar. The reasons for this are innumerable, but the power response tends to be a prominent factor. The power response of the speaker is going to tell you how much sound is put into the room. Your Klipsch setup does not have an inherently "superior" power response, rather, it's much more controlled due to the directivity pattern of the speaker. The Yamaha monitors, however, for all we know could be spraying HF off nearby walls, or are toed in just so that a hotspot in the upper treble hits your ears rather than direct on-axis sound. Too many factors to consider.

It's much harder to do this with horns since the acoustic output isn't directly from the transducer, but rather is from the horn mouth. You therefore know quite quickly if the setup is incorrect as the imaging is off. This is both a horn's "piece de resistance", and downfall. Poorly designed horns may have a ragged power response (due to poor loading of the horn). Properly designed ones, however, should let you easily pick out dynamic details that direct radiators may struggle with. Having seen the hand calculations and plots PWK did for his horn designs, I'd say this is definitely something he took quite seriously. :)

• Like 3

You will find very often that two speakers even having the same frequency response will not sound remotely similar. The reasons for this are innumerable, but the power response tends to be a prominent factor. The power response of the speaker is going to tell you how much sound is put into the room. Your Klipsch setup does not have an inherently "superior" power response, rather, it's much more controlled due to the directivity pattern of the speaker. The Yamaha monitors, however, for all we know could be spraying HF off nearby walls, or are toed in just so that a hotspot in the upper treble hits your ears rather than direct on-axis sound. Too many factors to consider.

It's much harder to do this with horns since the acoustic output isn't directly from the transducer, but rather is from the horn mouth. You therefore know quite quickly if the setup is incorrect as the imaging is off. This is both a horn's "piece de resistance", and downfall. Poorly designed horns may have a ragged power response (due to poor loading of the horn). Properly designed ones, however, should let you easily pick out dynamic details that direct radiators may struggle with. Having seen the hand calculations and plots PWK did for his horn designs, I'd say this is definitely something he took quite seriously. :)

This not with the Klipsch speakers, but my JBL 2360a/EVDH1A driver, and 1/4 pie speakers.

Maybe the crossovers in the NS1000s needs a rework.  Also the frequency responses of each speaker will be much different.  Horns get rather ragged which might be what you hear.  On even a 1/3 octave sweep, you might not pick up the peaks and valleys.

If the NS1000s are in good shape and redone along with enough horsepower, they are likely just smoother across the board and not as peaky in areas (particularly based on axis).

• Like 1