Turntables- Moving Magnet vs. Moving Coil

Jim

All technical considerations between MM and MC aside, MC is largely for the equipment head who has learned to discern miniscule differences as "better" or "worse" where the majority of us music heads with either hear "slightly different" or nothing at all. MC, therefore, is largely a hobbyist area that requires more tweaking and money. Perfectly fine if that is what a person enjoys.

Gotta take exception to dat. A well done MC cart with a well done SUT does more than simply change the sound.  It can be a substantial improvement rendering true sonic benefits.  Even a relatively cheap Denon 103 cart can kill most MM's. 

Now should somebody starting out into vinyl  jump right into MC's?

No.

But I guarantee you that probably half the vinyl guys here end up going to MC, either high or low, and most of the souls here seem to have a bit of a handle on this whole listening to music business.

Now one thing to mention about stylii that everyone forgets about is that they wear out. Typically 600 to 1000 hours is the given range.  As they do wear out, the sound can suffer and so can your records. Anybody whose ever used a dull knife knows what I mean. 

So if you do have a MM don't forget to baby your records and get a new stylus  when needed. 

Gotta take exception to dat

What took you so long?  :D

We can agree that nobody should go to MC first without a lot of experience...and money.

What we disagree about is the numbers.  I don't think anything like half will go there.  I looked into it once in nearly 50 years and could see, or hear, the benefit. 

Only so much music on a record and I am noticing none of it missing...

I have no doubt at all some hear a difference, and decide it is "better."  I'd probably just leave it at "different" and simply not worth the cost. 

OK, so I JUST CAN'T AFFORD IT DAMMIT!  Yeah, THAT's what you wanted to hear, wasn't it Mr. Moneybags with the Twin Twin Peaks. 

Dave

• Like 1

OK, so after going onto a site and downloading a protractor, I have aligned the Ortofon cartridge again and it pretty much does sound the same as the other with just a slight less bit on the highs, but the sound is lower than the other TT slightly.