I just bit the bullet and ...

Mike Lindsey

... bought a Rega Planet and ordered a set of ALK's for the La Scala's. Smile.gif

I have been looking for a Planet for a while now, based on the rec's from mobile and others. I got it for a fairly good price ($375) from the original owner (a collector of KEF speakers), and it comes with the original box, manual and remote. This will be used in my 2-channel rig, along with the updated Scott 299 and Dual CS-5000/Shure V15V-MR. I also just ordered a .5 meter Alpha Core Goertz T2 Silver IC based on mobile's and dndphishin's recommendation.

As for the ALK's, I ordered these based on the demo over at Q-Man's house last month. For that comparison, you can read it here...

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001429.html

I am hoping this system will sound much better than my existing SS 2-channel rig, which consists of Denon 4800/Acurus A200X3, Dual TT/AES PH-1 and Panasonic RP-91 used for CD's. I will be very disappointed if it doesn't...

Mike

This message has been edited by Mike Lindsey on 08-08-2002 at 09:09 AM

That CD player rules. Good choice! I know you like the vinyl, I think that the Planet will be right up your alley! It's the cost effective medicine to treat that "digital edge". Let us know what you think.

I like the overbuilt nature of that particular line of Rega as well. So much so, I'm trying out a Rega Radio tuner in the next day or two. Does anyone on the forum have any experience with the Rega Radio?

I have a lot of confidence in how your 2 channel rig will sound. Based on my very, very limited knowledge of 2 channel, it looks quite promising!

Mike -

Congrats! Sounds like a really nice two channel set-up. I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Based on all the talk on this forum about the Rega, I'm seriously thinking about buying a used one myself. I avoid my Sony CD player like the plague these days -- it's a first or second generation player, and it's 18 year old age is only exceeded by its rather hard digital edge. I've taken to playing CDs through my DVD player - much smoother, but certainly nowhere near optimal.

What do you folks recommend when considered a Rega Planet? Are the old ones preferable to the newer models? Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your advice and guidance.

Colin

------------------

My System

Thanks for the replies, fellas...

Eventually, I will look for an all tube separates system (SET preferably) but feel that may be 6 months to a year down the road. For now, I plan on cleaning all my vinyl with the Nitty Gritty Mini-Pro 2 I picked up and to just enjoy what I have. Besides, I'm broke. Smile.gif

The only additions I might make are some NOS tubes in the preamp stages (12AX7's) and output stages (7189's). The other thing I'm not sure of is speaker wire. Currently, I will just be using Monster 12ga but would like to try something else. I will need a 12 foot pair and am contemplating bi-wiring, which I can now do with the ALK's. Does anyone feel that bi-wiring would improve the La Scala's? Is it worth the extra expense? Does anyone have any rec's on speaker wire?

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike,

The Rega is a VERY good CD player.

I have the Planet 2000. I have been very pleased with it.

When Q-man redid your Lascala's did he rewire them? I think my Lascala's need all the solder joints touched up. I was thinking about rewiring them using AudioQuest.

Let me know about the ALK Xovers. That is one upgrade I really would like to do.

You have been buying alot in the last month. Your 2CH system is coming along very nice.

Danny

Hey dndphishin-

The Rega radio ( which I sell ) is VERY good. Every client who has tried one has been VERY happy- both w/ its sound and its ability to pull in stations well. However- some of the older tuners still rival just about anything !!

And Danny- IMO the Audioquest stuff is a little too brite compared to better Kimber Kable or something. But if you want , I have a bunch of AQ type 4 I will GIVE you when you pick up the LaScalas !!

I listned to the pre "2000" Rega and the top of the line Rotel CD player and liked both.

Since none of those were able to be found used I grabbed the MSB Link II DAC for $ 260 as a demo.

It seemed to get me 85% + of the quality of the Rega.

Good job Mike; I would have definitely picked up a used Rega fro under $ 400 if availiable.

Thanks for the replies, everybody!

Danny - Q-Man did not rewire but I may take a look at everything when I swap out the crossovers. I will certainly make a post regarding the ALK's after I install them.

I still haven't gotten any replies on my speaker wire question, and I guess I can understand based on some of the threads regarding this around here. As for now, I will get familiar with the Monster and then try something else down the road. I'm still open to suggestions...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Speaker wire...

I bought a close out pair of Audio Quest(AQ) Type 6+ a few years ago from Audio Advisor mail order. It was a 10 foot pair with spades on the speaker end and bananas on the amp end. After spending a year with my RB5s with a normal wire configuration and getting a Sherwood Newcastle power amp I decided to biwire. I used the Type 6+ for the highs and Rat Shack 12 gauge for the lows.

That was a pretty good tweak, it seemed to firm up the midbass most and improve soundstage as I recall but had no detrimental effect.

I was trying to find a deal on a demo or close out of an AQ internal biwire cable with factory terminations for several months, did not find a good option. So I just removed the Rat Shack cable, clipped off the spades from the Type 6+, stripped the ends, twisted wire and went internal biwire.

I am currently listening to the DACs in the Panny RP91 on a Chesky Super Audio Collection of music recorded at 96/24 featuring Sara K. and Livingston Taylor through the 6 channel direct input of the preamp. A very cool version of "Brick House" by Sara K.

The new wire configuration seems to allow for more details.

-guitar string and fret interaction

-singers breath over the microphone diaphram

I paid right around $ 100 for the AQ Type 6+ which was on the Stereophile recommedned list a few years back I think.

For $100 I got 3 levels of tweaking to play with for the last few years so I am very satisfied. I am also considering buying the WBT crimping tool and putting on a higher quality of connector, but the WBT tool is quite expensive.