Why is Microsoft the favorite villain?

Jeff Matthews

it's INSANE that Mom and Pop should have to solve what 8,000 programmers at Microsoft have been unable to solve in 18 years of trying!

If you can figure out how to fix what 8,000 programmers at Microsoft can't fix, send in your resume, show them how, and make a lot of money and become famous!

There are reasons for these situations.  You guys are just whining and thinking shallowly.  I am not saying it can't be done.  I am saying you need to be far more understanding of the situation than you are.

BTW, you misunderstood my comment. I didn't intend to mean that Mom and Pop had figured it out. I meant to say they are being asked to figure it out. People say they should learn how to secure their computers! But MS itself can't figure out how to secure a Windows computer. With 18 years of trying, they have failed miserably. They hire Google to find the vulnerabilities! It's laughable, if so many people hadn't been taken in by MS.

As Dave said, it is a complex tool. Hackers, for want of a better term, have gotten better over the past 18 years too.

The OS is sound, a larger problem,as I see it, is poorly written applications. I still say it's amazing that it runs on such a vast array of hardware with mostly good results. Trying to install some packages on Linux is often painful. It's slowly getting past 'user surly software '.

I don't understand why you would say it's awful for internet communication.

Bruce

Why would any one choose such a tool when good secure tools are available?

You missed my earlier point. If Linux was the #1 system in use in the world, you can bet your bottom dollar the hackers would be all into it.  If Windows was like Linux, it would be left alone and mostly forgotten. Hackers are going to go where the money is. It's a volume game.  No users = no reason to hack.  The more users, the more successful hacking can be.  Android is still largely a toy. That's not where the real booty is.

Edited by Jeff Matthews

You're misinformed. People have their credit card info, passwords to home banking and much more on their Android and IOS phones/tablets. That's EXACTLY the target that would pay off to hi-jack! Do you have any clue how many smart phones and tablets are out there? Obviously, you don't.

I guess I don't.  I understand the market is big, but I had no clue that everyone is loading those machines up with credit card information and other financially-sensitive information.  So what is the difference in terms of how one is so much safer than the other? 

I use a Windows phone, now a little over two years old. My wife has an iPhone, she's on her second one, an it's not the 6. We have two android tablets, a kindle fire (first Gen) and a Lenovo tablet (A10-700).

PCs at home are Win XP, 7, 8, Linux Mint 17, Haiku. I have a tank of a MacBook Pro with OSX Mavericks on it. My work PC is a Mac Pro (the large tower, before they made it look like a black coffee can). Our servers are Windows 2008 or newer. They are usually up for months with no problems.

The ONLY reason I use a Mac at work is because I have to support all the Macs on campus (used by faculty). They have had a higher failure rate that any of our Windows computers (most are Dell).

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

Continuation.

ApplePay and Google Wallet are about to completely revolutionize the credit card business. In a year or so, they will be every where. Millions of stores and tens of millions of people paying for their purchases using an Android phone or Apple phone at the cash register.

So again, if ever there was a target for hijackers, it would be the smart phone running Android and IOS. If these OS were not essentially bulletproof, this would not be possible.

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-versus-apple-pay-2015-3

I understand. A closed system will tend to be safer.

Switching topics, I find it hard to believe that people are so enamored by their phones and tablets that they would rather charge purchases through those at the check-out counter than simply pull out the little plastic card and swipe it.  I saw a friend of mine do it on his phone, and it made me think, "How useless!"  I am not saying it is bad.  I am saying it is not really an improvement, as far as I was able to tell.

It's a huge improvement

Agreed on this.  I had a British colleague visit for the first time in a decade or so an he was stunned to find us still using what he considered such an antiquated and error prone system as cards. 

Dave

The Android and IOS began life as Internet operating systems, and intended to be used as electronic wallets. I can't speak as a programmer, but the OS has been bulletproofed against the simple idea of hackers placing an executable file on your device. All applications are obtained only through the Google Store and the corresponding Apple store. Complete control therefore of application structures.

Don't because that is full of misinformation.  Android is not bulletproof, it is nowhere near as secure as IOS.  Applications can be obtained anywhere.  A recent study found a large amount of the most popular applications on the Android store have spyware in them.  Apple has complete control over their store and does check every facet of the application; Android, not so much.

I won't go into an exhaustive exam.  Folks can do whatever they like; but if you think this argument (began life as Internet operating systems) has any substance, let me configure an open Linux system for you to use.  The motivation behind security is the antithesis of the internet.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/google-play-store-suffers-from-malware/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/03/24/report-97-of-mobile-malware-is-on-android-this-is-the-easy-way-you-stay-safe/

Edited by Autarchist

Applications can be obtained anywhere.

But this requires "side loading" which is something only a geek would attempt. The Google Store apps are safe. I agree that IOS is superior, but obviously at a higher price all the way around.

Actually, you can download apps from a variety of "official" stores that are both public and private and is something that many people do, not geeks.  Geeks will bypass the store entirely.  There are recent studies of the apps on the Google store and you will find that many contain malware; you just don't know what they are doing.  As someone who writes mobile apps, I could tell you stories that would horrify you but if you are comfortable in your understanding, that works for me. 

To others who may believe this "Google Store" is safe or Android is bullet-proof, caveat emptor.  You are advised to install an anti-malware app on your Android device. (Just ask yourself why such applications are in demand and available on an OS promoted as safe.)  A couple things you should read before believing such 'safe' nonsense.

Android and Windows most infected

More malware found on Google Play Store

I will make it simple.  IOS and Blackberry are the only devices that can be considered safe.

Edited by Autarchist