Why is Microsoft the favorite villain?

Jeff Matthews

Our whole area has had Gigabit fiber to your house for quite some time now, and I can see it won't be far off that they are able to up that speed. Of course, routers used at home can't really handle the gigabit yet. Our core router at work will only go up to around 750Megabit.

Bruce

I don't know why 10GB remains so expensive.  I put in a 10GBe switch for our 36TB Synology used by my video group.  Works great.  But the 10GBe NIC setup and cost remains way too much.  There really isn't anything there that the materials cost should be so high.  My assumption is that the demand just hasn't be there to ramp up production.  The 8 port Netgear 10GBe switch was about 800 bucks, and that is an early one at much lower cost than a year ago.  Granted, cutting the wait time by these guys pays for it REAL quick as two of them are in the six figure salary range.

If folks used it, they'd pay and never go back.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

If the NICs were cheaper, say, 200.00, I'd use them for my home network file server.  I think the adoption will speed up as internet speed increases to where it starts to exceed gigabit abilities.  That will be a while, but as you mentioned it's already available in a few places.

Just a home server with LACP for gigabit would help a lot. 

Dave

Well, Win10 this summer.  I've heard good and bad, but believe it to be a good move.  Win 7 and up FREE upgrade!  I'll be doing so.  I also like their move towards device agnostic versions.  They are REALLY concentrating on the Chinese phone market and that may be the smartest thing I've head from them in a while.  China is increasing driving the world and the reports of the death of Windows phones may be premature. 

In fact (dare I say it?) I've not seen such a flurry of sensible market reaction from MS ever.  There will be Win10 versions for just about any device from Raspberry Pi to TVs all packing as much Windows consistency as possible on the device.  Internet Explorer is going away in favor of code name "Spartan."  It will, as all universal Windows programs, Hololens and Cortana compatible.  On the fun side, all PC and tablet versions will have Xbox compatibility built in and have a 30 second game buffer so you can figure out just how you got offed or show somebody a particularly brilliant move.

Hololens is a game changer.  The drivers will be in the OS, and open to Oculus, Sony...whoever.  The MS Hololens is said to be wirelessly chargeable and have it's own CPU and RAM on board...but is quite small compared to others.  It has full see through to the "real" world and the VR exists in the space.  Potential in my field is extraordinary.  We can build apps for maintenance that not only provide the steps in heads up as they work, but inform them of errors and point them out on the real device.  Developer's kits should be out this summer with the OS launch and the device may be out in December.

Granted, it's all advance hype but compared to the hype on 7 and 8 it's far more appealing.  If it works well, I'll understand why they skipped 9. 

Dave

There will be Win10 versions for just about any device from Raspberry Pi to TVs all packing as much Windows consistency as possible on the device.  Internet Explorer is going away in favor of code name "Spartan."  It will, as all universal Windows programs, Hololens and Cortana compatible.  On the fun side, all PC and tablet versions will have Xbox compatibility built in and have a 30 second game buffer so you can figure out just how you got offed or show somebody a particularly brilliant move.

There you go!  See?  The fight is over the toy market. 

It isn't finished and a lot of the new functionality, like Hololens, isn't in there.  Give it a chance.  I like 7 OK, but I am going to make the leap while it's free.  It probably won't always be free and I still think they'll sunset 7 sooner than is believed.  They are just waiting to get 10 well established.  My company will migrate first Q 17, and most others probably will as well.

Dave

I mentioned my web experience earlier, but what I've concentrated on for the past 10+ years is databases. Been to a ton of conferences and training and I dig in databases for sometimes hours every day. That being said, Microsoft SQL Server kicks ***. Maybe if you were a big Oracle fan you can laugh at that but otherwise it does everything I could ever hope for and then some. Just very powerful and the community of DBA's are just top notch, very smart. I've got nothing bad to say about MS in this regard.

I have Win10 here.  I don't like it much.  7 was the last good one.
In my view, XP was the last good MS product.  Everything worked, URLs automatically converted to live links, and I could paste jpegs into e-mails, among other things.  Windows 7 was a GIANT step backward, in which all of those things were wiped out in an instant when I went to 7.  I had no choice, since MS was abruptly discontinuing all support and functionality that was so integral to operations in the past.  Now, I see they are going to phase out IE, which I can only hope won't leave AOL (which is based on IE) in the lurch.

This strikes me as a pattern of trying to force customers into new products that true to form don't work well and require a lot of learning curve.  Someone suggested that Windows products deliberately clutter themselves up into being dysfunctional. and I'm beginning to believe it more and more.

So, what you say doesn't surprise me, but it sure is disappointing.  Another case of "too big to fail' (or succeed).

Interesting, Larry.  Both personally and enterprise wise we've found 7 much superior to XP.  More stable, less issues in general.  Machines stay up for weeks or more without needing a reboot.  Boot and shutdown much faster.

As with above, I expect some getting used to 10 pain...there always is and was with 7...but I am actually looking forward to this due to a variety of new functions we can exploit.  Hololens is a big one.  If they go with Android app compatibility as is being suggested by some, I may even give Win10 for phones a try.

Dave

The answer my friends is Linux.  Of course, then you have to figure out which Linux variant is best suited to the task at hand and is justifiable/usable to the particular audience.:  CentOS, RHEL, FEDORA, UBUNTU, KUBUNTU, CoreOS, LinuxMINT (Cinnamon, XFCE, KDE, etc.)

Frankly, my kids have quickly transitioned to using Linux on my main box even though they have the option to use OSX or Windows.

Many of the issues currently associated with computing today will be solved (in the enterprise) by the transition to Docker.

As far as db's, I do most of my work in DB2 while also being involved in MySQL and PostgreSQL.  Then, of course, there is stuff like CouchDB or Redis.

The focus at the moment is simplification, core function, and isolation; not aggregating every function into a particular server or OS.

Interesting, Larry.  Both personally and enterprise wise we've found 7 much superior to XP.  More stable, less issues in general.  Machines stay up for weeks or more without needing a reboot.  Boot and shutdown much faster.  
Interesting in turn, Dave.  The things I cited have continued to bug me, while I hadn't noticed yours.   A friend had 8 installed, and no improvement re my issues.

I like things to stay at least even, rather than go backwards!

A friend had 8 installed, and no improvement re my issues.

Wouldn't be.  It sucks...but it's mainly the godawful interface.  Boot, stability, and shutdown are improved, and it's at least usable with the .1 changes.  But it's only on 3 of my six home PCs.  I am taking them all to 10 when it's released.  If you look above you've found I am no lover of MS by a long shot.  But I work with this stuff and it's a fact of life.

Have to keep up, and this next edition has some additions that make it look interesting to those of us in the business.

Dave

Frankly, MS would do better if they took a core team of 10 developers and stuck them in a skunk-works project and said start from scratch.

Said that for years.  A couple of guys could probably do it even better.  Bet they could build a Windows that was totally compatible in a couple of hundred meg, even less.  I'm betting 80 or 90 percent of Windows is spaghetti code they don't know what does and are afraid to touch. 

But MS is actually showing signs of life and an attempt to be up with the times with the 10 concept.  God help me if I am suddenly an MS apologist...but like I said, gotta earn a living and MS remains the only choice for business. 

Dave

You are kidding me.  What business are you in?  Every enterprise is moving away from Windows.  95% of what I do is Linux based.  Sure, the 'users' are on Windows if they haven't moved to OSX but as a server platform, Windows is done and has been for a while.  Don't screw with people - your browser can be whatever you want it to be but the servers you are connecting to are Linux.  I can't remember the last Windows server I put into operation; of course, I deal with F500 companies. In fact, I am supposed to replace my laptop (windows 7) with a MacAir currently (I am a month behind in provisioning.) Your mileage may be different but if your suggestion is Windows - you are better off as a WalMart greeter than a technology consultant.