Why is Microsoft the favorite villain?

Jeff Matthews

wvu80, on 04 Mar 2015 - 03:59 AM, said:

I hope that is light hearted kidding, Chad is in no way a villain. 

That was certainly meant as Light Hearted Kidding meant in fun.  Chad is not a Villain.

I'm sorry for any misunderstanding.  It really was meant in fun.

Google, Facebook, and Twitter are evil and should be legislated out of existence.

In contrast, Windows just sucks before XP and after 7.  10 sucks as well and this Office in the Cloud stuff is pure nonsense.

Of course, I remember when Apple sucked and now OSX is pretty good.  Linux sucked for many years and now is largely the king for servers and more than an acceptable client platform.  Its role will become even more pronounced given some of the technologies now applicable.  I spend my days on all three main OS's.  MacOS is pretty and useful for when I need Xcode and a variety of other tools, Linux is my workstation for CI/CD and hosting a plethora of application servers, and Windows is my basic communication platform and hosts a number of Windows only servers and VM's.

Ever ask yourself why you need three OSs to do what any single decent OS should do?

Dave

Right, get Linux and be done with it. 

Nope to you Mallette; there is no single decent OS nor will there ever be.

With regards to Duder, you can't write native IOS/OSX apps on Linux can you.

I suppose you guys think a hammer is always the correct tool.

It's funny how almost everyone loves to take digs at Microsoft as being inferior, monopolistic, corrupt, etc., as if its existence is a stain on a decent society.  Why not Google?

Compared to Microsoft, Google is closer to the devil, yet people love Google like a new puppy.  Google is monitoring and storing your every activity.  If a bomb goes off in your neighborhood, won't it be something when they find that a few years ago, you did a search on fertilizer.  "How coincidental!"

Put it this way... Google has the actual potential to make anybody a convicted criminal.  They can stream a good number of coincidences and, "Bam!"  You're a psycho!  A murderer!  A pervert!  Whatever "they" want you to be.  

That is dangerous. If any big player deserves serious scrutiny and justifies criticism for its very existence, that would be Google.

Actually I'm pissed at MS because of OS 8.0-8.1 and server 2012. Horrible failures. Shame shame on Balmer. I await the second coming of Bill Gates to restore MS to former glory and sanity.

Right, get Linux and be done with it.

Run Linux server and two other machines at home.  However, useless for productivity.  Useful for web, audio, and such.

Dave

So are those dirt-cheap android tablets.

Yes they are.  If you subscribe to an ecosystem that was designed to be chaotic, inherently insecure, and absent responsible oversight, that's what you want.  Anyone with a passing clue would avoid them just like they skip phishing emails.

Windows Server 2012 makes a nice audio server!  It is screaming fast and can be stripped down to next to nothing in "core" or "minimal server" modes. Knocks latency down to very low levels and beat XP or 7 for sound quality by far. 

If you're interested... I tried all three OS's on the same hardware and had optimized them all as much as possible.  Server 2012 beat Windows XP which beat Windows 7.  

Does look neat, but I'd assume those guys are long gone.  Hard to imagine running 98 or 2000 now. 

98 had a "minimal install" option that was around 100MB.  Worked fine.  Last Windows with minimal bloat.  I'll bet there isn't a single person in MS who has a clue as to the entire structure anymore.  Probably huge pieces of code in there they are afraid to remove or simply ignore.

Dave

They're from Australia... (and probably not around) The 98Lite can do a 9 meg install.

I think I finally threw out my BeOS install CD, too.

Edited by Marvel