Sound Attenuation Blankets

Boxoffice Buff

I am remodeling my basement and putting a dedicated home theater. Part of the scope includes tearing down the existing ceiling. Living room (1st floor) and Master Bed (2nd floor) is directly above the finished basement foot print.

i was thinking if it would be a good idea to put sound attenuation blankets in between the basement ceiling joist (to be finished with regular drywall). Does anyone have experience using them? Are they effective in damping sound transmission? I understand that some noise will transmit. My question is - should I bother with them? I am not too hung up and don't want to go overboard in terms of $$$$.

Thanks for you help.  

The problem is the bass, which is exactly what these things are the least effective at killing.  The lower the frequency the lower the coefficient is.  So it might help but you probably need several layers to get rid of what you want.  

Also even if you did add something in between the joists, part of the problem is that sound actually goes through the joists.  One solution I've seen for walls is to double up on your joists and offset every other one so that the drywall on one side is not attached to the same joists that hold up the drywall on the other side.  Not sure if a similar idea could be used on a ceiling.  

• Like 1

We used clips and hat channels on our ceiling with 2 layers of drywall with Greenglue between them. works pretty good. If i was to do it again I would rip the flooring out above the HT room and put 2 layers of drywall (with gg) between the joists too. Another thing is instead of using fluffy insulation I would go with Roxul R80 between the joists.

If i was to do it again I would rip the flooring out above the HT room and put 2 layers of drywall (with gg) between the joists too.
went to a house with this exact same thing the other day. doesn't help near as much as your thinking i bet. 

Just watch movies when it will not disturb anyone upstairs.  This is a big undertaking and still may not be quite what you are aming for.  A separate ventilation system will go a long way in keep bass out of the rest of the house.
if your rocking and rolling there is no amount of effort you can throw into completely isolating a room.  

If i was to do it again I would rip the flooring out above the HT room and put 2 layers of drywall (with gg) between the joists too.
went to a house with this exact same thing the other day. doesn't help near as much as your thinking i bet. 

Just watch movies when it will not disturb anyone upstairs.  This is a big undertaking and still may not be quite what you are aming for.  A separate ventilation system will go a long way in keep bass out of the rest of the house.
if your rocking and rolling there is no amount of effort you can throw into completely isolating a room.  

If I am listening at -20 my wife is still able to sleep in the room over the HT... If I crank it to zero all bets are off. This is still a huge improvement over what we had before treatments were done as I couldn't even listen at -25 as it was way too loud in the room at all frequencies where as now it is only the bass we can hear.

One solution I've seen for walls is to double up on your joists and offset every other one so that the drywall on one side is not attached to the same joists that hold up the drywall on the other side. Not sure if a similar idea could be used on a ceiling.

I agree.  See if you can get a copy of Jeff Cooper's Building a Sound Studio from the library, on Amazon, or online.  Despite what you might infer from the title, it mainly deals with building a studio in a home, so it has many stategies for sound proofing, with approximate transmission loss dB values.  While blankets might absorb high frequencies in the room itself, making it less "live," they will do little or nothing to stop transmission of the frequencies that come through walls, ceilings, and floors the most -- the bass.  For that, you need mass and, if possible, independent suspension.

Edited by garyrc