SW-12 II Remanufactured

twk123

Hey guys so I recently bought at Klipsch SW-12 II from CL for $50 which is awesome. Unfortunately, the sub hums pretty bad and the 12'' woofer clicks when I turn the sub up. I really like the sound and the rich deep bass from the 12'' passive radiator and want to keep the cabinet.

That being said, I would like to replace the stock 150W amp with a Yung 200W plate amp:

http://www.parts-express.com/yung-sd200-200w-class-d-subwoofer-plate-amplifier-module-no-boost--301-504

And replace the woofer with a Dayton Audio 12'' Reference Woofer:

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss315hfa-8-12-reference-hf-subwoofer-8-ohm--295-445

Does anyone have any experience with the feasibility of doing this? Any advice or tips is greatly appreciated.

It might work but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if you ran into problems.  Engineers design subs as a unit.  T/S parameters of the driver and passive, box volume and amp (with built in high pass filters) are all selected to work together.  Throwing parts at it that might (or might not) fit the box is a crap shoot at best.  Feeling lucky?

It might work but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if you ran into problems.  Engineers design subs as a unit.  T/S parameters of the driver and passive, box volume and amp (with built in high pass filters) are all selected to work together.  Throwing parts at it that might (or might not) fit the box is a crap shoot at best.  Feeling lucky?

I checked the original owners manual on how to reduce the hum by using a 3 to 2 prong adapter on the power cord, is this safe and are there alternatives to dealing with a ground loop hum? I would like to leave it stock if possible.

Yes, using the 3-2 prong adapter will not have any problems.

I would also suggest you troubleshoot your problems one at a time.  If you deal with the amp problem the sub driver might have a fixable solution for that clicking.

Will it hum by itself?  If it hums with no signal cable attached it's not a ground loop.

It is humming with no signal attached so its probably not the ground loop. I will have to look at it more when I get home tonight to diagnose the issue. Are there any common internal issues with the amp that could be fixed?

Yes, using the 3-2 prong adapter will not have any problems.

I would also suggest you troubleshoot your problems one at a time.  If you deal with the amp problem the sub driver might have a fixable solution for that clicking.

The hum isnt too bad and I think its just because its an old sub. I played around with it this evening and its definitely the woofer that is bad. It looks and sounds good when I press on the cone but when I play it makes a scraping sound. I will have to look around and see if I can repair it. I doubt I can get an OEM replacement woofer. Is there a comparable one from parts express?

The previous owner wired the woofer in the wrong polarity...

/end thread :D

That shouldn't make it hum or make unusual noises though.

The hum has settled down quite a bit for some reason. When I first got it it was very noticeable and would get worse as I moved the crossover dial down from the max but now its just background noise and not noticeable when I have music playing. Maybe it has just not been used for so long? I have not tried the 3 to 2 plug adapter yet and will probably get one this evening to see if that helps. Its an old sub so I am just happy that it is working now.