My AVR does not have HDMI- Is Blu Ray worth it?

twk123

Piomeer elite Blu Ray players are junk! They are turtle slow. Half my movies wouldn't play cause it didn't have enough memory.

I have only destroyed one electronic device on purpose and it was a Pioneer Elite Blu Ray player. I threw it against a tree.

I absolutely love their receivers though.

Thanks for the heads up guys. The ad had two available for $75 which seems suspicious as well. I think I might spend the money on a new TT cartridge instead. 

Edited by twk123

How big is your screen?  It's absolutely worth it if your screen/TV is large.  If it's 35" or smaller and you set some distance away, don't worry about it for video quality reasons...

I do love blu-ray audio though, and there's a lot of music blu-rays available.  The problem is I never bought a DVD, so I have nothing to compare it to!  If you like audio too, the some of the multi-channel concert videos are neat.

Hey guys I have yet to make the jump from DVD to blu ray as I usually use my system for music. I have some extra cash and was thinking of grabbing a blu ray player. However, I have a Denon 3801 which has optical connections but no HDMI. I know the picture quality is much better with blu ray but if I have an older receiver will it be worth it from an audio perspective as I dont think I will be able to run the lossless formats? I currently have my system in a 5.1 configuration.

Some Blu-rays (most) have sound that is far superior to that of most DVDs.  Besides, if you get a "universal" player (which many Blu-ray players are), HDMI, and a new or used AVR that takes the lossless formats they may play SACD, DVD-A, HDCD, etc., which, whether in multichannel or not, would be a good addition to your music system.

I love SACDs on my OPPO player, whether new ones (channel classics or PentaTone, etc -- often 5 channels, sometimes 5.1), or old recordings now on SACD (Mercury -- inc 35 mm, or RCA Living Stereo, etc., usually 3 track).  I should point out that mine are mostly classical, or later orchestral, or jazz.  People tell me that pop/rock/metal are harder to find on SACD or the equivalent.

• Like 1

I think it would be worth it.

I dont think I will be able to run the lossless formats?

You could use the multichannel inputs(EXT. IN) provided you purchase a BD player that has multichannel outputs.  The player will do the decoding of the lossless formats and send it to the 5.1 inputs of your Denon.

Most cheaper BD's out there do not have multichannel outputs so you might have to invest a couple of hundred or more for one with the outputs.

Are you open to buying used?

Bill

Thanks Bill. Budget is about 100. I thrive on used actually...

In reality, although possible to find a Panasonic or maybe a Samsung that has analog audio outs for close to your budget...... you won't get a great  player for that. For about $300 you can get a used Oppo BDP -83. They offer all the connections you need. They also play SACD and DVD audio and are region free, so you can play Pal videos. If you can't afford the Oppo, if you search hard enough, there are less expensive players that offer component out as well as multi-channel analog audio out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-DMP-BD10-Blu-Ray-Player-Region-A-1-/221712277203?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339f14ded3

Bryant

I think it would be worth it.

I dont think I will be able to run the lossless formats?

You could use the multichannel inputs(EXT. IN) provided you purchase a BD player that has multichannel outputs.  The player will do the decoding of the lossless formats and send it to the 5.1 inputs of your Denon.

Most cheaper BD's out there do not have multichannel outputs so you might have to invest a couple of hundred or more for one with the outputs.

Are you open to buying used?

Bill

Thanks Bill. Budget is about 100. I thrive on used actually...

In reality, although possible to find a Panasonic or maybe a Samsung that has analog audio outs for close to your budget...... you won't get a great  player for that. For about $300 you can get a used Oppo BDP -83. They offer all the connections you need. They also play SACD and DVD audio and are region free, so you can play Pal videos. If you can't afford the Oppo, if you search hard enough, there are less expensive players that offer component out as well as multi-channel analog audio out. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-DMP-BD10-Blu-Ray-Player-Region-A-1-/221712277203?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339f14ded3

Bryant

No experience with this one but one of the few "cheaper" players with 7.1 analog RCA outputs.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yambda1010bl/yamaha-bd-a1010-blu-ray-disc-player/1.html#!more

Yamaha_BD-A1010.jpg

Bill

• Like 1

No experience with this one but one of the few "cheaper" players with 7.1 analog RCA outputs.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yambda1010bl/yamaha-bd-a1010-blu-ray-disc-player/1.html#!more

Yamaha_BD-A1010.jpg

Bill

That actually looks like a nice player for 220 bills. I also notice it says SACD on the front as well, so it should support that format.

Bryant 

• Like 1

Piomeer elite Blu Ray players are junk! They are turtle slow. Half my movies wouldn't play cause it didn't have enough memory.

I just bought a pioneer BD 80 from Amazon, It is a total P.O.S.!!!!!!! I've had it for about a month and I have had to unplug it about 50 times now because it doersn't shut down correctly. It even says in the manual to plug it in somewhere that is easy to reach as if they already knew you'd be unplugging it 3 times a day. I need 2 channel output and it was between like 3 Bluray players because they are phasing out rca 2 channel jacks on them. My P.O.S. Sony was 50 times better than this pioneer.

Agree with Scrappydude. I own the older Elite 94hd and although it hasn't had any problems playing once I did the firmware updates...it IS slow. Think I'd look for a used

OPPO player. Mine has been very reliable and quick to load...

~Mike.

Edited by Mikekid