Klipsch chorus 2

bobcat30

i was interested in the Onkyo TX-NR828 any thoughts?

I am a huge fan of Onkyo, I own the TX-NR717, but the Onk's have had HUGE and well-known problems with the HDMI boards.

Before you buy an Onk I strongly suggest you Goggle the 828 and see if it has the HDMI problem (aka network problems, the network is affected by the HDMI daughterboard) I would tell you if I knew the answer, but I am not as familiar with that model as the older 717 and 818, which DO have that problem.

I'll let others who own the C2's recommend specific brand AVR's which are known to work good with them.

Glad I decided to go with the denon instead then ... Thanks for the input

Did you find angling them toward the captains chair beneficial?

When I had mine they sounded best (smoothest), with the best imaging, when they were farther from the side walls than the rear wall. At that time, they were in a 14'x19' room on the short wall... probably 18" or so from the side wall, 12" from the rear wall and about 11' apart.

And I always preferred mine toed-in... Generally had them pointed so I could see into the horns, with the speaker axis crossing just behind my main listening position. Which was about 13' away.

Of course that was in my room with my ears... but I hope it gives you some options to consider.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok got another question because of space requirements in my room would it be bad if I positioned my rs3ii surrounds at like 2ft behind and about 7.5ft above the main seating position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapashit

We all have to work within our rooms and space/location requirements... So do what you have to do, to make it work. If it doesn't sound good to you, then play with the position (if you can).

Here's a link to the Dolby page and what they recommend...

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/index.html

bobcat

The receiver should compensate for the difference. But if you like to play around.... pick up a radioshack sound level meter...... Maybe a tripod .....Play around a bit. See what you like.... That kind of s..t is fun

Edited by oldred

Thanks guys ... Trying to make good decision the first time mainly based on room size ... Hate to put a bunch of holes in the walls from mounting these. Just gonna tip them down a bit pointed behind and at ears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapashit

Hi bobcat30 and WELCOME to the Forum. Hope you decide to stay a while.

Pretty late to the party, but you have a good start so far! In a surround sound system, your center channel and sub are your most important speakers. I agree with the Legend series suggestion for a center channel, as for a sub, go for the biggest that you can afford and that will fit in your space, you will not be disappointed. A good sub choice would be a Klipsch RSW-15 for about $800 used if you can find one or a Velodyne HGS-15 for about $700 used. If you buy one of these subs, don't be cheap, pay the extra money to have it shipped freight on a small pallet so it arrives safely.

Best of luck with your system. It is a lot of fun getting set up and I'll bet anticipation is killing you... Roger