Pre amp

I really don't think so.  As far as I know, only the .1 channel(and sub 120Hz signal) is routed through the subwoofer outs.  If you are considering adding an outboard amplifier, you must have stereo or multichannel preouts.

By the way, beautiful baby and the father(assuming) ain't so bad either. :D

Bill

You've got some great speakers, so try out some amps/receivers and see what happens from there. There can be great deals on used equipment through Craigslist or sites like http://www.accessories4less.com/ .. it's just a matter of setting a budget and working towards it (or figuring out how you can blow it and still eat for a month)

Byron,

First, you have some great speakers.

Can you sell and recoup some of your $$$ or return your Sony?

How much(if any) $$$ do you have to spend on an AVR with preouts?

Do you currently have an outboard amp to add to an AVR with preouts?

Bill

Or are my klipsch speakers not that good.

How would you describe how your system doesn't sound good?  Wrong balance of bass and treble?  Distortion?  Poor imaging?  Or what? :)

I don't know big your collection of recordings is, but note that CDs, especially, range from excellent to simply horrible.

I love the quality of sound I have. I just wish I had more volume. Receiver says its 145 watts per channel. I know it doesn't put that much. I just figured being klipsch I should get more volume. I want a bigger receiver so I may return it. But the next best Sony receiver only puts out a lil bit more watts.

But the next best Sony receiver only puts out a lil bit more watts.

Does it have to be Sony?

Your Sony STR-DH750 actually puts out 145w/ch@6ohms with one channel driven.  If I had to guess, it may put out 75w/ch@8ohms with two channels driven and with all channels driven maybe 40w/ch.

I personally don't suggest Sony AVR's unless the buyer is able to move up to the ES line.

Bill 

Edited by willland

I'm not liking Sony. I just don't know which brand packs a lil more punch for the buck. Im hoping something around 750$ or so.

Plenty of good choices in that price range and many have multichannel preouts if you want to add an amp later.

This baby here will have a breeze with your speakers but at $799.99.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr4520ci/denon-avr-4520ci-denon-s-flagship-home-theater-receiver-150wpc/1.html

Here are a few more that fall under your budget.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx4000/denon-avr-x4000-7.2-4k-ultra-hd-networking-receiver-w/airplay/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxnr838/onkyo-tx-nr838-7.2-network-a/v-receiver-w/atmos-hdmi-2.0-wi-fi/1.html

At your budget.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa2020bl/yamaha-rx-a2020-9.2-network-aventage-av-receiver-airplay/1.html

Bill

Yep, I would get that Sony out of the equation and the links provided is a great start. If you dont need 4K, 3D, then your options are a little better finding receiver a little less expensive. But, if you buy a decent receiver, just use it to power your speakers. I wouldnt make that jump to amp unless you just want to, or happen to have 1 sitting around. Most mid range receivers will give you enough power. My biggest advice is to look for receiver that has the options you want. Look at the remote, is it backlit? 12 v trigger (and if 12v trigger is assignable) 3D, 4K, Atmos, Room EQ (Audysee, YPAO, MCAAC) preouts etc. 

I love the quality of sound I have. I just wish I had more volume. Receiver says its 145 watts per channel. I know it doesn't put that much. I just figured being klipsch I should get more volume. I want a bigger receiver so I may return it. But the next best Sony receiver only puts out a lil bit more watts.

Most AVRs only put out about 80% of their rated power per channel when all channels are operating, as opposed to separate power amps that often put out 100% of their rated power when all channels are operating. 

That may not account for your lack of volume, though.  20% isn't that big a difference.  Twice the power (100% more) is 3 dB.   I don't remember if you have a subwoofer.  If you do, turning it up 3 to about 8 dB will make the system seem much more powerful, if your sub can take it, and that will not depend on your AVR (unless there is a defect). 

How loud should it be to reproduce what the mixers heard?  THX, Audyssey, and others say you should have 105 dB occasional, brief peaks from your regular speakers, and 115 dB occasional, brief peaks from your sub.  It is difficult to specify an average level, but for loud passages (ff) it might be in the high '80s to the low '90s.  The true average level is not the 85 dB level that is used to set movie houses for reference level, or the 75 dB level Audyssey eventually went to to set home reference levels -- the peak levels (Fs, or Full Scale) -- are both the same; Audyssey lowered the in-home SPL of their test "pings" because of complaints from consumers re: the SPL during the set up procedure (Audyssey's is 30 dB below a peak of 105 dB from the main speakers from the main listening position, and the professional test sounds are 20 dB below the same 105 dB from the mains, at the MLP).  For movies, all is well, because of standardization that the film industry adhears to at least some of the time.  For music only CDs, SACDs, etc, it's anybody's guess, because there is no standardization.

In my large room, my speakers which are rated at 105 dB @ 1 meter @ 1 watt (and may really be more like 100 - 103 dB at 1M, 1w) require about 9 or 10 watts to reach 105 dB out in the room about 16 feet away. 

Edited by garyrc

• 4 years later...