Opinion: Vertical Oversized Heresy / Miniature Vertical Cornwall

CANT

So, I'm thinking of building a pair of decorator boxes in the old vertical arrangement to use up some spare Heresy parts (seemed different & interesting) but I can't decide between 2 designs...

The first is just a straight scaled down Cornwall. At 85% of it's original size a 30.5H x 21.5W x 13.25D would rather perfectly fit all of the available pieces but would double the internal volume which might be a bit much? Also, with only a 15% reduction from it's original size it somewhat begs the question, "why not just build a Cornwall?".

This led to the second design which is 22.5H x 22.5W x 13.25D. At this size we are near the internal volume of the Forte, which seems more reasonable and the square design allows for a much easier orientation change should the listener choose to turn the cabs horizontal? These dimensions would make for a far tighter fit though which may not be as visually appealing?

I realize this question is random and right now hypothetical but what are your thoughts?

Parts from which Heresy? The Heresy II parts work quite well at almost double the size. If you look up the Tangent 400, or inside one, you would find they contain Heresy II parts, including the crossover.

http://www.klipsch.com/tangent-400/details

They are ported, and have wonderful specs.

Bruce

• Like 1

I already have a pair of standard HII's and a pair of 2-way Heresy I built that use a K28E paired with a D220TI-16 on a K65/66 horn. So I don't really want to build just another pair of Heresy?

As for parts, I have parts from all 3 generations and some other models... but I will probably be using K77's and K55's for the tweeter and squawker on this. As for the woofer I have not decided? It could be K series, Crites or something else I find acceptable and handy? I will build the crossovers my self so I don't particularly feel tied to a specific arrangement... 

More thoughts?

If the T/S specs we have on the K-24 is accurate, the box would be just fine at 4.5 cu ft. A pair of 2" ports about 2" long for the K-22 and 3" long for the K24 should tune you pretty well. Watch out for over-excursion. Don't send signals below 30Hz and signals in the 40Hz region will reach xmax at about 25watts.

Building a 4.5 cu ft box will add almost another ovtave to the speaker. It will just about be in the Forte range. Just watch overexcursion.

The yellow is a Heresy II for comparison. Sealed 1.736 cu ft. Red K-22 in a 4.5 cu ft with dual 2" long 2" diameter ports, purple k-24 in a 4.5 cu ft box with a pair of 3" long 2" diameter ports. 

post-47699-0-50040000-1429156528_thumb.j

Edited by mustang guy

I built a ported Heresy 2 a while back, was an amazing speaker, good luck with your endeavors.

Dave

http://www.fastlaneaudio.com/ported-heresy-ii-project..html

looks nice dave!

why was it necessary to use a different xover?

not doubting the need......believe me, you know much much more than I do concerning electronics.......just looking to learn something today! ;)

Guest David H
why was it necessary to use a different xover? not doubting the need......believe me, you know much much more than I do concerning electronics.......just looking to learn something today!

Sounded lousy with the original.

Dave

I used to build a beast with double Heresy woofers, Atlas mid on EV 8HD horn, a tweeter, and a network with time-offset correction on the woofers.

The cabinet was about 10,000 cu in tuned to 33hz and used a Q=2 high-pass filter at 33hz.

The bass was gut-rumbling, and transients so hard they made one victim listener jump to his feet when playing Tricycle (Flim and the BB's).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV9fqP8IS3E

One woofer would work well in a box about twice the volume of the Heresy. The beast was about 45" tall, and only 17" wide, by about 19" deep. The EV horn was long-axis vertical (like the old Cornwall II), with the tweeter above it (long axis horizontal), and the vent to one side of the mid horn.

Guest David H
The bass was gut-rumbling, and transients so hard they made one victim listener jump to his feet when playing Tricycle (Flim and the BB's).

Great album...

Dave

• Like 1