Thank you, WPS, for the gift of GREAT music!

Mallette

At Hope, WPS (Pat) gave me some 78RPM records.  One was a large album, "A Symphony of Swing," from RCA and the other a Bunny Berigan tribute album from 1942.  While the condition of the packaging of the RCA didn't look promising, a look at the discs suggested they'd never seen a needle, and even the paper insert information was there and in decent shape.  The Berigan album was in much better condition, and, again, the discs appeared pristine. 

Even then I was not prepared for the blast of incredibly transparent, wide range, music when I put on "Beale Street Blues" with the Tommy Dorsey band.  Slamming bass, in your face clarinet and trumpet, driving, living JAZZ from the top of the period.  Moving to Benny Goodman and "Sing, Sing, Sing" was the same except here is the greatest drummer who ever lived, Gene Krupa, doing things with drums that should be illegal and certainly not for sensitive children. 

Then, Bunny Berigan and "Jelly Roll Blues" went in an even more "hot jazz" direction with a smaller ensemble operating totally autonomously with the music flowing from player to player.  If I missed stereo or surround at all, it was here as I thought about how the position of the spotlight moved all over the band, hardly ever stopping.

I am giving some the "magical mystery goo" treatment tonight.  By 78 standards, they are very quiet and, in fact, surface noise inaudible most of the time due to the shear "wall of sound" coming off them.  However, I am looking forward to seeing just how quiet near mint 78s of this pressing quality can be.

THANK YOU, PAT!  I LOVE this forum!  BTW, those who giggle at my tastes might consider the number of marvelous (for me, anyway) records I've been given and have arrived unasked for in the mail over the years from those who recall my wide bandwidth.  I can be good to be weird!

Anyway, I will try to get a good digital recording made of one or more of these and get them up on the Forum. 

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

Tee hee.

Carl is a turd, Carl is.  Elden is a gentleman, he is.  And Dennie loves music, Dennie does.

All that aside, I really hope to get a piece or two of this digitized soon to demonstrate just how good the engineering could be 75 years ago.  Truly amazing. 

Dave

• Like 1